Hi,

we're in the design phase of a new project involving:

• 2 x Nexus 5010
  • 1 x Nexus 1000V
  • VMWare ESX 4.x
  • CNA adapters
  • Storage with FC and FCoE
  • Brocade FC switch

The Nexus 5010 are collapsing all the connections between VMWare, Storage and the LAN: there will be Ethernet, FCoE and FC. There aren't any external FC swtich here (the Brocade are only maintained during the migration phase).

My first question for what I've seen, normally there are two SANs, so I assume I should use two different VSANs. If we want to use VPc, I've read is enough not allwing the FCoE VLAN in the peer link to maintain two different paths: is that correct? How is redundancy achieved? How is one path preferred over the other?

My ESX server are using CNA, so we'd like to channel the ports to take advantage of the VPc. In this case, is it necessary to use NPV in the Nexus for the different VM? I cannot clearly understand when and why is NPV required and which are the advantages. In my scenario, where I have multiple FCoE and FC connections to different devices, should I use switch mode or NPV mode?

Thanks in advance,

Ruben

0 Replies 0
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: