cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

performance manager-collection,flow

mholenia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, in the collection wizard I can't find port-channel interfaces ( ISLs ). But in the real-time monitoring I can monitor all ISLs and port-channels. How can I collect history of port-channels? I have also IVR configured and I am not able to setup flows for IVR source and destination. I don't see the devices in the flow wizard. I see only devices within a single VSAN. How can I do that? Thanks in advance for Your Help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If this enhancement went into 2.1.1a it would go into 2.1.1x and it would still be a Interop issue. Any new feature request go into latest new code, sorry. What this may only be is a add request to the Fabric Manager, and upgrading the FM is not a SAN Switch Interop issue.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

mrfrase
Level 1
Level 1

Port-Channels should show up in the selection, I am not sure why they are not showing up. Running a SNMP trace from the log tab of the Fabric manager when the selection is made would be a start. Gathering this data and opening a support case will be required to look at the SNMP trace. As for the IVR flow in PM, I do not believe this is supported and I did not see it noted that it was not supported in the MDS FM Manual. I will post a technical reason why it is not currently supported as soon as I discuss with development. Document addition will be done to note IVR uses with PM.

Thanks, when will You have the info from the development?

In the documentation I found that collection is not possible for virtual interfaces. That means port-channels are also virtual interfaces and I can't collect info in the PM.

I am still having converstation on the IVR collections with DE, if can be done but I am still trying to understand it. As for Port Channels, I have both 1.3.6 and 2.1.2b able to see and collect Port-Channel data in PM.

I am using wizard, I see the FC Port Channels in the Data Collection Window along with initiators and Targets. If you are not able to see the PC's but see others then there is soming that needs to be identified as a problem when Fabric Manager polls for the data from the switch with SNMP. The only time I have seen other issues like this is when FICON was also configured on the switch.

The wizard is not able to be used for Flow creation for IVR devices. Configuration must be done in CLI or via Device manager. Using DM is easier and can be found under FC/Advanced/Flow Stats. You will need the Des & Source ID's, create a flow in each direction in each of the VSAN's

I have opened an enhancement Request to add IVR devices to the Wizard

Thanks a lot. I have only one request. My customer can because of interoperability issues use only ver 2.1.1a. Is it possible to implement this enhancements to this version?

If this enhancement went into 2.1.1a it would go into 2.1.1x and it would still be a Interop issue. Any new feature request go into latest new code, sorry. What this may only be is a add request to the Fabric Manager, and upgrading the FM is not a SAN Switch Interop issue.

Hi, sorry for incovinience, I tried to create a IVR flow, but it doesn't work. You can always be only inside one VSAN, where the source and dest is located. It's really bad not to have the possibility to monitor history about IVR flows ans port-channels.

The customer is not very happy with this.

Port channels and IVR work and are supported, you will need to open a TAC case with Cisco to determine detail of what is not working for your customer.

I opened a TAC case and the answer is:

Customer can create a collection with the performance manager for ISLs,

host, storage and the flows, not for the port channels. (Port channels

are not supported) The wizard is not able to be used for the the flow

creation for the IVR devices since the flow is created within a VSAN.

Unfortunately this is as designed.

I think it's really a very big problem when You can't monitor port-channels and IVR flows!!! That does mean this features are not usable in production environment where monitoring is a must!!! Why is this not written in the documentation on the first page with bold. It's really frustrating. Thanks for Your help.

you can monitor almost anything on cisco, if you use snmp. i will see if i can figure out the oids for port channels and ivr flow.

do not forget that cisco is just a baby in storage, Fc etc... give them some time and hopfully they will catch up to the old timers on some of these things