cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Port Channel Best Practice

Hi All,

I have a MDS9509 with port channels going to my Cisco blade switches on my HP Proliant blade enclosure.

I have NO ports left on my MDS9509, but DO have some remaining on the blade enclosure.

The question is, can i port channel from the blade enclosure to another edge switch (MDS9148)?

Is that a supported configuration/Best Practice and what are the ramifications if I do that?

So I'm going from Core, to edge and then to edge switch with port channel.

Thanks,

Matt

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Hi Matthew,

Sorry for the misunderstanding,  your to-be diagram cleared up a lot for me :-)

First off, yes, it will work. There's no reason it shouldn't and if you have the external ports free on your 9124e, you can hook up a new switch.

It's far from a conventional design, because blade switches are supposed to go in the Edge. It's not a best practice.

What I would recommend is that you move some of the storage from your edge to the 9148, and treat it as a collapsed core, sharing an edge switch (the blade switch).  You can then ISL the 9148 and the 9509 together into a somewhat sensible topology.

So for one fabric this would be

(disk)---9148  --- 9509 -- (disks) (some moved to the left to free up space for ISLs)

\          /

\        /

9124e

Or you can contact your sales team and look to swap some Linecards with higher port density ones.

Lastly I would like to note that, however you link up the switches, most combinations available to you will 'work'.  So as a temp solution you can go ahead with the (core - blade - edge) scenario.  Just know that you'll be introducing bottlenecks and potential weak points into your network. 

Cisco Employee

Hi Matthew,

No problem, glad I could help!   If you're satisfied with the answer, please mark the question as answered so other forum users can benefit from this info as well

HTH,

Kris

8 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hi Matt,

Short answer: No,a single fc port-channel needs to run parallel point-to-point between 2 devices (Host === Switch). a V-shaped topology is not supported or even possible.

BUT!

What you CAN do is make 2 port-channels, one going to one edge switch and the other to another edge switch.

So you will have something like

Core

//          \\

Edge1   Edge2

\\           //

Blade Switch

You will end up with 2 paths from your bladeswitch to your core, and FSPF math will determine which path is used.  If they're equal cost (seems like you would want this) then load-balancing will (in default config) send Exchanges over both links.

This makes your topology more complex but it's supported. (Conditionally, I made several assumptions about the rest of your fabric )

I hope this clarifies port-channels for you.

HTH,

/Kris

Community Member

Re: Port Channel Best Practice

Kris,

This is what I currently have keeping in mind I have two separate fabrics..  Four ports for each switch.

Core1                    Core2

||||                          ||||

Blade Switch1                Blade Switch2

I guess this is what I was hoping to do on each fabric, but you state that it’s not supported.

1)      From core to blade and then from blade to edge.

Core1                           Core2

||||                                ||||

Blade Switch1                Blade Switch2

||||                           |||| 

Edge1                    Edge2

Regards,

Matt

Community Member

Kris,

Does that make sense?

I have Fabric_A Core1 to Blade1, Fabric_B Core2 to Blade2.

I'm asking if I can add a separate edge switch (9148) to each Fabric?

Core1 to Blade1 then to Edge1

Core2 to Blade2 then to Edge2

Or do I need to port channel off of the director/core (MDS9509) only?

Matt

Cisco Employee

Hi Matthew,

Sorry for the misunderstanding,  your to-be diagram cleared up a lot for me :-)

First off, yes, it will work. There's no reason it shouldn't and if you have the external ports free on your 9124e, you can hook up a new switch.

It's far from a conventional design, because blade switches are supposed to go in the Edge. It's not a best practice.

What I would recommend is that you move some of the storage from your edge to the 9148, and treat it as a collapsed core, sharing an edge switch (the blade switch).  You can then ISL the 9148 and the 9509 together into a somewhat sensible topology.

So for one fabric this would be

(disk)---9148  --- 9509 -- (disks) (some moved to the left to free up space for ISLs)

\          /

\        /

9124e

Or you can contact your sales team and look to swap some Linecards with higher port density ones.

Lastly I would like to note that, however you link up the switches, most combinations available to you will 'work'.  So as a temp solution you can go ahead with the (core - blade - edge) scenario.  Just know that you'll be introducing bottlenecks and potential weak points into your network. 

Community Member

Thanks Kris,

This is good information that I can use to determine how I’m going to implement this SAN and the new 9148 switch.

Matt

Cisco Employee

Hi Matthew,

No problem, glad I could help!   If you're satisfied with the answer, please mark the question as answered so other forum users can benefit from this info as well

HTH,

Kris

Community Member

Kris,

Regarding the port channel configuration.

1) When I port channel off of the MDS9509 with two ISL's. Should I use two different blades on the 9509 or is ok to use a single blade with two open ports?

2) Since I believe my new edge switch (SN6000) will have the NX-OS on it and my MDS has version (3.1.2a), will there be a compatability issue when I go to port channel them together? 

Matt

Silver

1) you definitely want to use two different blades if available, you want to avoid single point of failure.

@dynamoxxx
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content