Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

port channels on 32 port cards

Hi,

i need set up a two wires (ports) port channels on a single 32 ports card. Is there any limitations for? How match ports could be used for hosts after?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bronze

Re: port channels on 32 port cards

Hi,

Because the four ports use the same asic it will not be possible to use the other three ports if the first port is configured for a E/TE/SD port.

Cheers

Andrew

7 REPLIES
Bronze

Hi,

You will first need to create the channel group

eg

switch# config

switch(config)# interface port-channel 1

switch(config-if)# switchport description (enter good description)

switch(config-if)# switchport mode E

switch(config-if)# switchport trunk mode off

I have set the trunk mode to 'off' so it will not by default trunk all vsan's to the other switch.

Due to the 32port line cards being oversubscribed, you will need to admin shutdown the last three ports in each mac group, then configure the first port in the mac group as the e/te port. The three disabled (shutdown) ports cannot be used.

eg.

switch# config

switch(config)# int fc 1/2

switch(config-if)# shut

switch(config-if)# switchport description port shutdown due to ISL on mac

switch(config-if)# int fc 1/3

switch(config-if)# shut

switch(config-if)# int fc 1/4

switch(config-if)# shut

switch(config-if)# int fc 1/1

switch(config-if)# channel-group 1 force

switch(config-if)# no shut

You will need to repeat these steps on the other switch.

The online documentation has quite good guidelines for this.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Thank You inch,

but most interesting for me to know what will happened with ports. Have i disable other ports on isic if i use some (two for example) ports for port channel (as for example in case when i use brocade) or i can use free ports for host connectivity, as i can do that in 16 ports card.

Bronze

Hi,

Because the four ports use the same asic it will not be possible to use the other three ports if the first port is configured for a E/TE/SD port.

Cheers

Andrew

Thank You Andrew!

It exactly what i want to know.

Inch,

Please excuse the newbee question (because I am to Storage Networks).

I remember reading the document that describes the loss of the remaining ports in the ASIC group if you ISL the first port. So, would/could you channel the remaining three ports on the ASIC to increase B/W in the ISL link? Would that not be the 'smarter' way to go?

Thanks for your help.

Jim

Bronze

Hi Jim,

Unfortunatly not. Because the 32 port line card is oversubscribed (1x 2 gb/s asic for all four ports) you wouldnt get any more bandwith anyway. It would be nice to be able to configure the others as a 'standby' interface incase you have a sfp or cable problem to increase redundancy. But at the moment those three other ports will sit there unavailable and wasted.

If you need to have a multi switch environment then it would be best to use some none oversubscribed line cards so you dont waste money on disabled ports.

Cheers

Andrew

Thanks for your answer. Most helpful.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content