Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Port speed for ISL's and SP's , Hosts (MDS 9513)

Is there any recommendation/best practise for

1) setting port speed ie choose Auto or hard code eg 2gb, 4gb wrt b/w available ?

2) ratemode ie dedicated or shared ?

For ISL's And Storage processors/Controllers and hosts

Thanks,

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: Port speed for ISL's and SP's , Hosts (MDS 9513)

For ISL's, if the line card is gen2, it must be configured as dedicated. For the port mode, I would recommend that you hard code the mode to E. I also like to code the speed on ISLs so that there is no chance that they would negotiate to a slower speed. IE: you don't want to have a 2GB link negotiate at 1GB.

As for storage controllers, depending on the fan in ratio, I would recommend hard coding them to the device speed, and if the port-group has the bandwidth available, make them dedicated.

As for hosts, they should be on the shared port, and I would leave them as port mode = auto. This way they can negotiate F or FL. You might want to configure a 'maximum allowable auto speed setting'.

IE: if your hosts have 2GB HBAs, and are plugged into a 4GB capable port, they will never negotiate to 4GB...so why have the MDS think it needs to keep some bandwidth for that port (in shared mode). I forget the command, but there is way to set auto-max for the port speed on shared ports.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content