Views
Helpful
Replies

Query regarding adding new MDS switches to existing MDS fabric

waliakbari
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I  have a question regarding the Domain ID's and local priority values for a VSAN in terms of extending the fabric across new MDS switches.

I currently need to extend our current MDS switch fabric (VSAN 101) by adding another CISCO MDS switch to the fabric at a site.

All the switches are Cisco MDS 9222i with NX-OS 5.0(1a).

Switch1 & Switch2 are located at two different sites and are linked via a ISL. They both have a common VSAN fabric across them (VSAN ID 101).

And their Domain ID, principal switch and local priority values are shown below :

Switch       VSAN_ID        Domain_ID          principal_switch                local priority

========================================================================

Switch1        101               0xe5(229)              self                                    2

Switch2        101               0xcf(205)              switch1                              128

I now need to add a new switch (Switch3)  to extend the fabric and it will be connected to  Switch2 via a local ISL (at the same site). So the topology would look like  Switch1 --> Switch2 --> Switch3 . So in theory i should assign Switch3 a DOMAIN ID  which is lower that that of Switch2 (eg 207)  as they are directly connected to each other via a local ISL.  However Switch2 has a higher DOMAIN ID than Switch1 which is the principal switch ??

Im unsure what value of the domain ID and local prioriy to give to switch3, so that there are no issues and the zoneset distrubtion during activation

works correctly (as it is now) .

Could you please provide some answers, it would be much apprecitated.

Regads

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The only domain ID requirement is that it is unique in the VSAN, it doesn't have to be higher or lower that any other ID

The priority is different... that is used to decide the principal switch (the one that hands out new domain ID's as other switches join the fabric)

In the most part, you can let it work itself out, but if you have a preference that you DON'T want this new switch to be the principal, then make sure the priority is higher than the existing.

Thanks

Steven

P.S. Please rate my post if it answers your question.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

The only domain ID requirement is that it is unique in the VSAN, it doesn't have to be higher or lower that any other ID

The priority is different... that is used to decide the principal switch (the one that hands out new domain ID's as other switches join the fabric)

In the most part, you can let it work itself out, but if you have a preference that you DON'T want this new switch to be the principal, then make sure the priority is higher than the existing.

Thanks

Steven

P.S. Please rate my post if it answers your question.

Thanks Steven,

i just noticed one of the VSAN's has an ZONESET OPERATION mode of BASIC and i need to changed this to ENHANCED so that i can extend the VSAN.

From what i read from the CISCO NX-OS fabric manager guide, it looks like this is straight forward, but i was told by some one that it is DISRUPTIVE? 

Do you know if changing the ZONESET operation of a VSAN from BASIC to ENHANCED is disruptive to the VSAN? or is it simply a re-distrubite of the active Zoneset?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: