Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Question on SNMP calls

I would like to monitor the SFP health using SNMP, can you please help me find the right OID for this. I tried searching in Cisco SNMP Object navigator and found that OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.12.3.1.8.46 - 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.12.3.1.8.50 gives the transceiver power, voltage and temperature details but these oids are not available in the switches that we have. We have cisco MDS 9148 with NX-OS version 6.2(1). Can you please let us know how to get these oids if they are the correct oids to get the SFP health information or please point to a different oid which gives these information

7 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Question on SNMP calls

Hi Tejaswi,

As you said, these OIDs are not supported in the MDS switch, so I checked to see how Cisco Device Manager gets this information, since it will display transceiver details and uses SNMP.  What I found after tracing it was that DM opens up an SSH session to the switch and uses command line to get the information and then presents it in a window.

I could not find an OID that works for this on the MDS switches.

Best regaards,

Jim

Question on SNMP calls

Thank you Jim

Cisco Employee

Question on SNMP calls

Thank you Jim for looking into  this, so this means that there is no way through SNMP i can get SFP  Diagnostic information, will have to parse the command line information  to get these. CLI command "show interface transceiver" shows the current  SFP values but i could not find a command that would give the SFP  threshold values, any help in this regard would be much awaited.

Thanks,

Tejaswi

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi Tejaswi,

Add "detail" to that command, example:

Best regards,

Jim

Cisco Employee

Question on SNMP calls

Hi Tejaswi,

I found that Device Manager 6.2(x) uses the CISCO-ENTITY-SENSOR-MIB instead of the SSH session, so it is possible to get this with SNMP.  You might also be interested in the CISCO-INTERFACE-XCVR-MONITOR-MIB.

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/SNMP/do/BrowseMIB.do?local=en&step=2&mibName=CISCO-ENTITY-SENSOR-MIB

entSensorValue

entSensorValue

entSensorThresholdValue

entSensorThresholdRelation

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/SNMP/do/BrowseMIB.do?local=en&step=2&mibName=CISCO-INTERFACE-XCVR-MONITOR-MIB

Best regards,

Jim

Question on SNMP calls

Thank you Jim, will look into these MIBs

Thanks,

Tejaswi

Question on SNMP calls

Hi Jim,

I had a look at these MIBS and found that entSensorValue and entSensorThreshold value matches with the command line output of show interface transceiver, however i could not relate this value with the slot/port information, i could not find an index common for the port information and the sensor value information to relate.

I came across this post https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-36517in CISCO Documentation that describes on how to map the index for sensor values and its mentioned in the end that

On Nexus entityPhysicalIndex are not supported for slot/port which are required to make correlation between interface and entitySensorValue. Enhacement request CSCty93934 for Nexus 7k and CSCui73423 for nexus5k is opened.

This appears to be true as i have done a complete SNMP walk analysis on MIB tree and found no common index to relate.

Are you aware of these enhacement requests and any idea if it is addressed in recent firmware? or let me know if there are any other ways to associate sensor value with the slot/port information

Thanks,

Tejaswi

Question on SNMP calls

Hi Jim,

Any information on this, we are struck here, not able to proceed

Thanks,

Tejaswi

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content