cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Red line across MDS 9216 & status showing Unknown user name(server)

sujit1215
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have 2 MDS 9216 switches which are ISLed together. Yesterday night we had a power outage and since then one of the switches(switch b) has a red line across it. I have tried to restart the fabric manager services but that did not help.

There is no connectivity issue for the servers connected to these switches but the red line wont go away. I found something in the cisco troubleshooting guide which says to check for any physical failure but when i checked the switch physically there were no amber lights.All the lights were green.

But when i see the device manager on both switches the fan status is red.In that case both the switches should have a red line across them.

I have attached a screenshot of the fabric manager.

Your help would be highly appreciated.MDS 9216.jpg

Symptom: Red Line Through the Switch

If a red line shows through your switch, this means the Fabric Manger sees something wrong with the

switch. Check the

Switch->Inventory

report. A module, fan, or power supply has failed or is offline and

plugged in.

10 Replies 10

sujit1215
Level 1
Level 1

Another point which i noticed now is that the switch B does not have the community which switch A has when i check in Device Manager->Security->Users

Make sure snmp user and password are the same on both switches.

In this case mds9126b does not have the same snmp username/password.

If you know snmp user name/password of mds9216a, then issue the following command on mds9126b

example:

snmp user:  admin

password: test123

conf t

mds1(config)# snmp-server user admin auth md5 test123

end

Refresh several time on FM to take affect

Hi Vu Phan,

I ran the command you gave. But after running the command when i try to login into the Fabric manager it gives me a error "Snmp:notInTimeWindow". I had to login with a different id to get into the Fabric manager and the iam still seein the same red line.

What user/password are you using when discover fabric?

Try to refresh couple times

Hi,

I tried now with a different username password.Lets see if that works,iam refreshing it. Also since i tried the below command with my user id earlier,does it disable login in to FM ?

mds9216a(config)# snmp-server user xxxx_admin auth md5 xxx

Auth passphrase specified is not strong enough : it is based on a dictionary word

Tried now with a unique phrase..and refreshing the FM

mds9216b(config)# snmp-server user xxx auth md5 xxxxxxx$

mds9216b(config)# end

Vu Phan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This username and passord I am talking about. The snmp admin username/password you just created must be the same on both switches and same as the display below

The FM login username/password has nothing to do with this

When i try to login into both the switches using FM and go to Server-> Admin, i see fabric_mds9216a in the details. Also if you notice the password field is showing as blank.

No matter how many times i try to change the snmp username and password on both the switches,it still displays the old username on the FM.

You can remove the fabric, then re-discover with the same username/password