Views
Helpful
Replies

Signle Power supply MDS 9124

nickhesson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

My MDS 9124 has a couple of warnings, I would like to clear. The First warning I see in FM, is for PowerSupply-1 OperStatus = offEnvPower. We only have one power supply in that switch, is there a way to clear the warning? Also I see (in FM) that Fan Module-4 is down. But when I am in the CLI, and run:

show environment fan

I'm getting everything is ok, except for PS-1 is absent. So is that Fan Module-4 the Power Supply 1 Fans??? If so, how can I clear these warnings if I have only the one Power supply that is in PS slot 2?

Thanks for your time and help,

Nick

4 Replies 4

Michael Brown
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Nick,

Please advise on the SAN OS level running on the 9124 and the FM version you are working with. I will attempt to confirm for you what you are seeing regarding the power supply is normal and a way to bypass the warning.

What does the 'show log log' command show regarding the FAN? I would not suspect a FAN issue unless I confirmed some error messages in the system log. It might be a fan slowing down, but not seen when you check the 'show env fan' display.

Mike

Thanks for the reply.

SAN OS: 3.1(2)

FM: 3.1(2)

And when I run "show Logging Logfile", i see:

2008 Oct 19 02:12:43 MDS9124 %PLATFORM-2-FAN_OK: Fan module ok

2008 Oct 19 02:12:43 MDS9124 %PLATFORM-1-FAN_FAIL: Fan module Failed

Thanks for your time.

Nick

I remember asking the same question of Cisco previously and was told that the only way to stop the message was to add the second PS. Not sure if another way has been found, but that was what I was originally found. For redundancy purposes I'd also recommend the second PS especially considering the cost / benefit return.

Thank you.

I think what you are seeing is normal. I checked my 9124 that is running more recent code, and I only see 3 FANs in the 'show env fan' display, and only 3 FAN okay messages in the log. Since the 9124 has only 3 fans, I think the fan warning error is a cosmetic bug.

As for the PS warning i FM, it looks the same here, and I believe that Kevin is right, it should just be ignored. I also agree that adding a second PS is well worth the investment.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: