I have the MDS switch under my management and do not have much experience in this area.
I have a procedure passed to me as follow:
1. Create fcalias, port for correct VSAN.
2. Create Zone, if new and add fcalias, also add storage port.
3. Add Zone to Zone set.
Are there any more detailed instructions on how to do this?
Do most people use command line or the GUI for this type of config?
Any assistance would be appreciated.
Those instructions are a little rough around the edges. Now if you are not familar with the MDS they are about worthless.
If you are looking for detailed instructions on how to zone a switch, I could send you some screenshots. Do you use fabric manager or CLI?
Thanks for the document, I really appreciate it.
I have a test server that was set up by someone else, but I can use it to practice adding the server to the Switch Fabric.
But, sonce I have no experience, I am a little leary about going in and poking around an enterprise MDS switch that houses all the servers.
Is there any sequence that I should follow to remove the server from the zone set, zone and fcalias and start again?
It makes me nervous to select "activate".
Are there any steps to follow for removal or anything to watch out for that could hose the whole switch up?
Double Check your zones to make sure that all your hosts are zoned to their respective targets.
Also, activating a zone is a non-disruptive event.
Well here are some questions:
To Delete the Server
1. From Fabric Manager can I just right click the VSAN and select "Edit local full Zone Database" and delete the fcalias, Zone and Zone Set in that order?
To add a new server:
2. Once the server is brought on line and plugged into the switch, I can from Device Manager put the server in the correct VSAN and give a description, this is pretty much all that is done to add a new server from Device Manager correct?
3. The server at this point should show up in the respective VSAN in the Fabric Manager correct?
4. I can right click on the VSAN and select "Edit local full Zone Database", select "insert" to add the fcalias?
5. Repeat these steps to add the Zone and add the new Zone to the Zone Set?
Why not download the Cisco MDS Cookbook? It's available on www.cisco.com somewhere and is a very good step by step guide to just about all of the stuff you'll want to do.
Most people will find fabric manager a bit more intuitive then the command line. All of this can be done through a wizard based interface.
The configuration guide for fabric manager (the gui) can be found here -
If you found this helpful please rate it
i am also very new to this Fabric switch. we are having Cisco MDS 9148 Fabric switch, Netapp FAS2040 storage box and Dell servers with HBA (Host Bus Adapters with Fibre channel Interfaces).
Right now Servers and storage box connected to our Internal switch like regular setup. My excange, domain controller, databse and application servers are having LUNs in this netapp box.
Now we want to deploy Cisco MDS 9148 fabric switch in this setup and datatransfer between servers and storage should be via this fabric switch.
Pelase guid me to deploy safely.