Views
Helpful
Replies

storage vdc / feature npv

delahais
Level 1
Level 1

hi guys,

Is-it possible to configure a storage vdc in npv mode ?

We "just" want to consolidate access I/O...

C7HP Blade with Nx2232 connected to Nx7010 with storage vdc connected to MDS (FCF)...

Many thanks.

Nicolas.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi wdey,

Great !

Many thanks for all these information.

BR

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I don't think that there is a FCoE NPV license, resp. a NX-OS command "feature fcoe-npv" for N7K; therefore in the storage VDC, you do NPIV, not NPV.

It is common, to use the N7k in the access, connecting hosts with FCoE:

FCoE on the Nexus 7000 also supports a unique capability that enables interfaces to be shared between two VDCs. This enables the Nexus 7000 to be used in the access layer of networks where servers connect to the switch and use FCoE. A shared interface enables FCoE traffic to be segmented into the Storage VDC at the edge of the network. When an interface is shared between two VDCs, a few rules must be followed:

• Interfaces can be shared only between one Ethernet VDC and one Storage VDC.
  • Interfaces to be shared must be configured as 802.1Q trunks in the Ethernet VDC.
  • Interfaces may be shared only from the Ethernet VDC that allocated VLANs to the Storage VDC.
  • The Ethernet VDC “owns” the physical interface. If the interface is admin down in the Ethernet VDC, it will be admin down in the Storage VDC.
  • All ports that have a common ASIC must be allocated as shared interfaces. This is done in groups of two on the F1 modules and groups of four on F2/F2e modules.

Just pointing out what wdey said.

The npv mode isn't supported by Nexus 7000, you can use as a regular fabric and then connect to you MDS with E ports.

Regards.

Richard

Hi Richard, Hi Wdey,

First of all thks for your replies

Who is right ???

I am used to use npv/npiv with Nx 5k.

I would want do the same config but with Nx 7k,as Wdey said. I do not have any experience on vdc storage.

+ At present, i can test on a 7k

By reading, i can find information as said Richard. all doc said "regular fabric", not npv/npiv.

+ i could read only mds devices is allowed to connect with E ports... not broadcade fabric....

who is right ?

I am very amazed about that. Why ????

Thx

Nicolas.

Hi Nicolas

N5k and N7k are different, eg.

- N5k supports Ethernet, FCoE and native FC, N7k only FCoE and Ethernet, not native FC

- N5k has storage license for FCoE, native FC, and FC NPV, plus there is a special FCoE NPV license

- N5k supports multi-hop FCoE, but also segregating FCoE ingress traffic, with egress classical FC and Ethernet

- N7k supports multi-hop FCoE, VE and VF (access) ports

- N7k supports storage VDC, N5k doesn't

- N7k Storage VDC Features:

xxx.png

- N5k allows more possible configurations, then N7k see eg. http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/san_switching/503_n2_1/Cisco_n5k_nxos_sanswitching_config_guide_rel503_n2_1_chapter6.html

I assume this is what you want to achieve ? it is possible with N5k, not with N7k, as it doesn't support FCoE NPV.

xxx.png

Hope this helps ??

Hi wdey,

Great !

Many thanks for all these information.

BR

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: