cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

STP Recommendations

vegas5882010
Level 1
Level 1

We are establising an iSCSI network to connect our servers to our new Dell EqualLogic SAN. Based on the recommendations as detailed in the SAN documentation, I have configured a number of things. One configuration recommendation that I do not understand is the use of STP in the iSCSCI vlan. I created vlan 2 solely for iSCSI (these switches, Cisco 3560G's, have no other use). from the EqualLogic document, "Because STP can increase the time it takes to recover from a PS Series array control module failover or a network switch failure, it is recommended that you do not use STP on switch ports that connect end nodes (iSCSI initiators or storage array network interfaces)...If you must use STP, it is recommended that you enable the switch port settings that allow the immediate transition of the port into STP forwarding state upon linkup..." In other words, use portfast.

Based on what I have read in the Cisco documentation, it seems that I cannot disable STP on a per-port basis, so I just used portfast for now. The question is DO I NEED TO USE STP or NO? Can i just disable it for vlan 2 altogether? Again, 2 3560G switches, only use is iSCSI traffic. Nothing else is connected to these switches.

Thanks,

1 Reply 1

bfeeny
Level 1
Level 1

I do not prefer to disable STP, its a good failsafe to have and required for some designs which use layer 2 redundancy.

portfast is fine and in fact what this document suggests as one of the options.  Portfast will allow the ports to failover and not cause too much unnecessary delay caused by STP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: