Views
Helpful
Replies

VSAN Query

shankar85
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have to two 9509 cisco switches, switch 1 and switch 2 where physical interfaces of upper half of each of the switch is configured to be VSAN 1 and bottom half on each is VSAN 2. (No IVR enabled ) switch 1 and switch 2 have TE between them from each of the vsan's

I have a host wwn logged in switch 1 vsan 2 and storage port in switch 2 vsan 2 .

I have enabled zoning between them. (however in the zone properties it does not say "not in vsan")

I assigned luns from my storage and host is unable to see them ?

Is there a zoning issue here ?

Could some one please advise ?

Thanks

Shankar

6 Replies 6

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would use enhanced zoning and device alias

e.g.

zone mode enhanced vsan x

system default zone mode enhanced

system default zone distribute full

device-alias mode enhanced

dynamoxxx
Level 5
Level 5

if initiator and target are both members of the same VSAN and you have successfuly zoned them ..at that point typically hosts logges-in to the array and you do you mapping/masking.

@dynamoxxx

@dynamoxxx

Yes they are part of the same VSAN , but the intiator and the target are coming from different switch which have an ISL between them ..will the intiator and target being differen switch matter in this case ?

Apology this has been a duplicate post of Cisco MDS VSAN query.

Also making modifciations to he current vsan will that afftect the rest of the hosts ?but will that actually over come the issue of what im facing at the moment where storage is not able to see the host wwn ..

thanks

Shankar

shankar hariharan wrote:

Yes they are part of the same VSAN , but the intiator and the target are coming from different switch which have an ISL between them ..will the intiator and target being differen switch matter in this case ?

not really, if you are trunking that VSAN between the two swtiches, devices logged-in to that VSAN should be able to communicate to each other.

shankar hariharan wrote:

Also making modifciations to he current vsan will that afftect the rest of the hosts ?but will that actually over come the issue of what im facing at the moment where storage is not able to see the host wwn ..

thanks

Shankar

what modifications are you speaking of ?

@dynamoxxx

@dynamoxxx

Thanks, The one which was quoted by wdey to use enahanced vsan and enhanced device alias ?

Yes Trunks are enabled between the two swithces from each vsan.

but as you quoted , if this was the case I still cant figure as to why I'm not able to see the wwn's on the Hitachi box ?

not really, if you are trunking that VSAN between the two swtiches, devices logged-in to that VSAN should be able to communicate to each other.

Thanks

Shankar

see my reply to your other thread ..

@dynamoxxx

@dynamoxxx