Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

What is upstream swith and downstream switch

Please give me some lecture on this question, it'd be great if you have some diagrams.

Thanks for your time in advance.                  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Yes, they need to be in the same VSAN for them to login to Fabric and see each other.You also need to configure Zone and activate the zone-set for the storage and server to talk to each other. If they are in different VSAN's, you have to use IVR and IVR zones for them to see each other.

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: What is upstream swith and downstream switch

Thanks for the link.

I guess, I need to ask more particular questions. The following is what I excerpted from page 5-3 on this document: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/troubleshooting/guide/n5K_ts_sans.pdf

"A server port connected to the NPV edge switch does not come online, and the show interface command

indicates a status of NPV upstream port not available.

Possible Cause:

The upstream NP_Port(s) and the downstream server F_Port(s) on the NPV edge switch may not be in

the same VSAN. "

Just wanted to confirm with understand the issue. To resolve the problem, in the case as following, fc2/2 on the upstream switch should be in the same VSAN as the port fc1/5 on the downstream switch? Am I understanding it right?

fc2/2, NP_Port, To a storage

|

++++++

|         |     <-------upsream switch

++++++

||

+++++

|        |      <-----downstream edge

+++++

|

fc/1/5, F_Port, To a server

Cisco Employee

Yes, they need to be in the same VSAN for them to login to Fabric and see each other.You also need to configure Zone and activate the zone-set for the storage and server to talk to each other. If they are in different VSAN's, you have to use IVR and IVR zones for them to see each other.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content