cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WWPN Not showing up on MDS 9124

gaskincharles
Level 1
Level 1

I am working with the Cisco UCS. I have 2x FIC 6120 connected to two Cisco 9124 switches. I have 4 B200 M2 blade servers each with 2x vHBA's assisgned. On the MDS switches I am not able to see the first two blade server HBA's. I issue a sh floggi database command and the physical HBA wwpn on the UCS FIC shows up on one of the ports, but that is it. It should show the physical HBA wwpn and the vHBA's wwpns.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to get the wwpn's to display? I have shutdown the uplink ports on the FIC and restarted the blade servers and also shutdown the MDS ports. Do I need to clear something on the MDS side ?

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

dakester
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Is NPIV enabled on the 9124?

config

feature NPIV

You can log the flogi's in the syslog using the following commands

config

logging level flogi 5

exit

(Reboot the server)

show logging log | i FLOG

Regards,

David

View solution in original post

Jeremy Waldrop
Level 4
Level 4

Do you have a SAN boot policy configured in UCS and do you have the SAN WWPNs for each fabric configured in the policy? The servers will not flogi if there isn't a SAN boot policy with WWPNs and boot LUN ID set.

I don't think you can zone against a WWN but I don't know that for sure. Are those NetApp ports on the same MDS switch?

8 Replies 8

dakester
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Is NPIV enabled on the 9124?

config

feature NPIV

You can log the flogi's in the syslog using the following commands

config

logging level flogi 5

exit

(Reboot the server)

show logging log | i FLOG

Regards,

David

Yes it's enabled.

Jeremy Waldrop
Level 4
Level 4

Do you have a SAN boot policy configured in UCS and do you have the SAN WWPNs for each fabric configured in the policy? The servers will not flogi if there isn't a SAN boot policy with WWPNs and boot LUN ID set.

I ended up finding the answer. I was referencing the old wwpn's to the old SAN HBA's in the boot policy, and also had the one to one zoning configured still using the old SAN and the vHBA's for the UCS. Once I removed this out of the policy and rebooted the servers the wwpn's showed up. Thanks for everyone's input.

I have one more question. Can you use the wwnn instead of the wwpn's in the SAN Boot policy for the servers ? My NetApp has two HBA's but the wwnn is the same for both HBA's. Should I create a zone using just the wwnn's for the SAN and then use the vHBA's from the UCS blade servers ?

I don't think you can zone against a WWN but I don't know that for sure. Are those NetApp ports on the same MDS switch?

Hi,

Jeremy is correct, the MDS cannot zone by nwwn.

Regards,

David

OK, thank you. I just wanted to save myself a couple of extra steps on the zoning process. Thanks

Controller 1's 2x HBA's Connected to MDS-A

Controller 2's 2x HBA's Connected to MDS-B

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: