Views
Helpful
Replies

Zones are no longer visible.

DaveBramley
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have merged some zones on creating ISLs. When I am in fabric manager on VSAN10 I can see the zones, when I go to edit the Zone database the zones are not there??

Any ideas??

11 Replies 11

If you log onto you original switch (or one of them) and type:

sh zone status vsan 10

What do you get?

What do you get if you do the same on the new switch?

Steven

Hi Steven,

On the Original Switch I get:

Full Zoning Database :

Zonesets:0   Zones:0  Aliases: 8

On the new switch I get:

Full Zoning Database :

Zonesets:0   Zones:0  Aliases: 8

Cannot understand why the zones are visible in the main fabric manager window though?

Totally baffled..

Dave

Dave

Is that ALL you get??

How about a "sh zone status"

Is stuff still working??  Is this a production VSAN?

Steven

Many thanks again for your reply Steven,

Yes, I'm afraid it is production..

I have a few VSANs and also have IVR, but it is vsan10 that the zone seem to have vanished from.

I couldn't run:   sh zone status vsan 10

So I ran:   sh zone status

I have attached the print out in a word doc.

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Dave

Dave

OK I think I understand now....

You have active zoneset ditribution rather than full.  That means the "safe source" is on one switch and only the active zoneset is distributed to all the other switches.

Was the screenshot from the new switch?  If you do the same from the original do you have numbers in the "Full Zoning Database" section for vsan 10.

Steven

Hi Steven,

Again, thanks for your assistance..

The screen shot was from the original switch..

I have 7 switches in each fabric, but everything was OK until I added these screen shots from these 2 switches (that i have attached()..

Cheers

Dave

Going off what Steven noticed about the distribution setting, after selecting edit the zone database it might be defaulting to the switch without the zoneset/zone information. At the top of the new window you are given a drop down for VSANs and Switches. Have you tried changing to another switch?

Hi Hershal06,

Thanks for the reply..

Yes, I have tried all switches in the drop down and all VSANs?

I am not at work untill later.

When I get there I'll upload some screen shots to show you what I see in the main fabric manager window and then in the edit database window..

Regards,

Dave

OK

If you are not seeing a database for that vsan on any of the switches, It looks like it's been lost somehow.

I always enable full distribution so have never been in this situation, so am not sure of the correct way to get a copy of your active one.  Unless anyone else knows I'd be inclined to call cisco and get assistance - I'm sure it's pretty easy.

For future ref, I'd enable full zoning distribution.

Steven

You should be able to get the active zoneset by running: show zoneset active vsan X. Also found this command in the CLI config guide: zone copy vsan X active-zoneset tftp://...

this copies the active-zoneset remotely. Take a look at the CLI guide before using that one. They give caution about it if you have IVR enabled because it will copy those zones as well.

Many thanks to Steven & Hershal06..

I'll try to enable Full Distribution, and copying active zonesets...

May have to log a call with Cisco..?

I'll let you know how I get on..

Many thanks again..

Dave