cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Zones that are active

Steven Williams
Level 4
Level 4

What represents that a zone is active when looking at the output of show zone active?

Some have a * fcid by them and others have just pwwn XXXXXXXXX

I am trying to clean up this MDS but trying to figure out whats in use and what was not removed when things were changing. 

9 Replies 9

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Your question should be: does a zone have active members or not ?

If you have a zone, and all the members have no "*" in front of them (which means this devices have done a flogi), then this zone is no used at all.

Some have a * fcid by them and others have just pwwn XXXXXXXXX

This means this zone has some members that are live, others not.

Currently smart zoning is not enabled on my MDS. It is one to one zoning. We want to move to smart zoning so can i enable smart zoning and migrate without disrupting the current zoning that is configured?

yes you can. You can enable SmarZonining on the fly and then start creating new SmartZones that will co-exist with "traditional" zones.  To convert "traditional" zone to SmartZone I would create a brand new SmartZone, add it to active zoneset and at the same time remove "traditional" zone and then active the zoneset.  Did that on the fly without host noticing a thing.

@dynamoxxx

really? no downtime from the host and target perspective?

yep, did that for all my HP C-class blades and UCS blade a couple of years ago. During the day, with absolutely no bleep on the host side.

For example let's a take  "traditional" zones between a UCS blade and EMC VNX

oracle-hba1-vnx5700-spa0

member vnx5700-spa0

member oracle-hba1

oracle-hba1-vnx5700-spb1

member vnx5700-spb1

member oracle-hba1

oracle-hba1-vnx5700-spa3

member vnx5700-spa3

member oracle-hba1

oracle-hba1-vnx5700-spb4

member vnx5700-spb4

member oracle-hba1

So i have 4 distinct zones in your single initiator single target configuration.  So i go in and create a new smartzone that looks like this:

oracle-hba1-vnx5700

member oracle-hba1  init 

member vnx5700-spb4 target

member vnx5700-spa0 target

member vnx5700-spb1 target

member vnx5700-spa3 target

Now i remove the 4 "traditional" zones above and slide in the SmartZone above and active the zoneset , all in one step.  Done

@dynamoxxx

so create a text doc that negates all the traditional zones followed with the "zoneset activate name XXXXXX vsan XX"? wouldnt it blip though when you remove the traditional zone set right before you activate or is it so fast that it doesnt notice?

i did not do it in bulk, i performed my "conversions" a couple of systems at a time.  In DCNM i would delete traditional zones from active zoneset, add SmartZone and hit activate. All in one step.

@dynamoxxx

i dont use DCNM but i assume its the same process in cli

same

@dynamoxxx
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: