Views
Helpful
Replies

Zoning, active Zone set questions

wilson_1234_2
Level 3
Level 3

I have a general theory question:

When zoning a switch, if you have an active server that is using storage space and has files saved from the server onto the SAN.

Then suppose I remove the aliases for that server and remove the zone from Fabric Manager.

If I were to go back and re-create the aliases again, then rezone the server to the SAN, would I see the files that had been saved to the switch, ot would they be gone?

3 Replies 3

inch
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

If you did it the following way there would be no problem:

- write file

- unmount filesystem

- remove alias

- remove zone

- activate zoneset

- create alias

- create zone

- add to zoneset

- activate zoneset

- mount filesystem (depending on your OS/Volume management here you might have to reboot or run some specific commands to see the LUN/Target/Disk again)

marsnow
Level 1
Level 1

Files are not saved in "the switch" they are saved on the storage device i.e disk array, connected to the switch. The switch is just the transport mechanism. You remove the zones the data is still fine, you just can't get to it. If you recreate all the switch config as it was before then the server will see the data.

You might see the data!

In that lun was never zoned with another host, then the data should be intact. How ever, if the storage lun was zoned with another host, that host might have modified the data on the lun. Assuming this has not occurred, it would be the same as zoning a host with a storage device, writing files, then un-plugging the storage from the SAN. Later when you re-install the cable, the host 'should' see the storage just like it did before the cable removal.