Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Zoning implications without scheduled maintenance time?

We have a simple topology, but wish to impliment zoning. I have the zones created, but have not yet activated them. Can I activated them without scheduling a maintenance window? Does data flow stop temporarily while zones are activated?

Thanks

• Storage Networking
5 REPLIES

Re: Zoning implications without scheduled maintenance time?

I assume that your VSAN Default Zone Behavior = Permit

right now.

You can activate the zoneset without effect to active initiators. any device that is currently working in the VSAN must be zoned, any missing ones will loose targets

Thank you for your response!

Correct. We currently have 8 servers targeting a storage device in an unzoned environment. The Default Zone Behavior = Permit. I have created 8 different zones, each having a server targeting the srorage device. I have include these 8 into a zoneset, but haven't activated the zoneset yet. We have identical configs on 2 9216's. Each server has a single connection to each of the 9216's and each of the 9216's are conected to the storage device. The 9216's do not have an ISL trunk between them. Our intention is to activated the zoneset on each switch one at a time and do not know what to expect in regard to adverse behavior.

Thank You.

Hi Scott,

May be you already perfomed the change.If not, it should not be a problem since you will have two separate paths between the initiator and the targets via two different switches.

I would also suggest you to use the Fabric Manager to see the full picture of your topology.

Let me know, if you have any further questions,

Thanks,

Hakan.

Hakan,

Thanks for the response. I have a similar setup. I have 10 windows based servers connected to a MDS switch and the backup devices is also connected to the switch. Right now we have no zones, just the default, what would be the best design. what issues can we run into if we do not implement zoning considering that we are only windows environment??

any help would be highly appreciated. I will surely rate this post.

Thanks

Cisco Employee

Once a device is placed into a zone and that zone is activated in a zoneset, that device will not be available to the default zone anymore. In other words, if it's explicitly configured, then it will not be implicitly permitted in the default permit.

So, you will want to create the zones in FM and then put them in a zoneset. Check the zoneset for correctness and then activate it. The end devices will get RSCN's but they should be able to handle it. Then turn off the default zoning. There should not be a outage since all you should be doing is narrowing from everything to just the stuff a device needs to talk to.

Views
Helpful
Replies