cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Zoning MDS switch- zoning across VSANs

Julian.Milano
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 MDS 9148 switches which we use as zoning switches. We have the following (simplified) setup:

EMC_VNX5400_SAN_1, zoned to VMware host VMHOST01 & VMHOST02 in vCentreFarm01- in VSAN10
EMC_VNX5400_SAN_2, zoned to VMware host VMHOST03 & VMHOST04 in vCentreFarm02- in VSAN20

I have a need to present a LUN as a datastore from EMC_VNX5400_SAN_2 (VSAN20) to VMHOST01 & VMHOST02 (VSAN10) as I need to migrate a number of virtual servers from in vCentreFarm01 to in vCentreFarm02. I can't see a way to do this?

The SANs are EMC VNX5400, the VMware hosts are UCS B200s.

3 Replies 3

dynamoxxx
Level 5
Level 5

Are these are actually two separate storage arrays ?  If you have extra ports on on the second VNX, add them to VSAN 10. I suspect you don't have IVR/Enterprise license ?

@dynamoxxx

I assume IVR relates to trunking of switches but in this case both switches are separate fabric domains, but redundant to each other so that if one goes down the other will continue to provide fabric connectivity to all devices. We don't have IVR anyway.

The storage systems are separate, yes, and your method of moving one of the ports to the other VSAN may just work!

Off-topic question, if one was to remove a device from a VSAN then I assume that device will be disconnected from all zones?

IVR allows devices in different VSANs to communicate with each other.

Yes, zones are VSAN specific.

@dynamoxxx
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: