cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SLM248P 48 Port Switch

mail
Level 1
Level 1

I am in the process of trying to replace a modem/router,the switch does not work with the new modem/router although if I connect the modem/router directly to my computer it works fine,so its not a router issue.I suspect that the settings need to be changed in the switch to allow the new router to work?

Can anyone please help me?,Im not that tech savvy!

3 Replies 3

rmanthey
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Andy,

What is the symptom you are seeing when you connect the new modem/router up to the switch? Are you not able to get to the Internet, or can't access the router? Most likely the issue is the new modem/router is not configured for the LAN like your old modem/router. Is the switch in factory default settings or has there been changes made to the configuration for your network?

We will need to know what your old modem/router was configured and how your new one is setup.

Cisco Small Business Support Center

Randy Manthey

CCNA, CCNA - Security

Hi Randy.

When I plug the router into the switch and connect my computer to the switch,all I get is "no internet access".

I do not know if the settings have been changed in the switch as I have never had reason to need that info.

The switch was already installed when I bought the business (apartment complex),and it feeds out to 20 apartments.

My old router was a d link DSLT604G,shall I try and access the settings on the old and new routers and compare?

Is there any way to access the switch settings to get info on what it is set up for?

Appreciate your help.

Andy

Hello Andy,

This switch is a slightly managed switch which means you can log into it and make configuration changes. The default configuration for a switch makes the switch respond to DHCP by default. If you have no DHCP server then the default IP is 192.168.1.254. The default username and password if it is a Linksys branded older model would be admin and password admin. The newer switches would be cisco and password cisco.

You could factory default the switch if you can't access due to configuration settings previously made by holding in the rest button for 30 seconds.

I would recommend trying to determine how your network is configured before factory defaulting the switch, because this could cause an outage until the topology is determined.

Hope this helps,

Cisco Small Business Support Center

Randy Manthey

CCNA, CCNA - Security