Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4900M Configure Half Card Module

I have a cisco 4900m switch with a half card module that has 8 10Gbps RJ45 ports.  I am simply trying to enable and configure the ports but I have not yet found the documentation to achieve this and to make things worse if I run show modules I get an "Unsupported module" output shown below.  So now I am wondering what really is going on because it looks like the chassis switch sees the half card but there is something else wrong, perhaps someone has some ideas?  The chassis is suppose to support this card.

show module

Chassis Type : WS-C4900M

Power consumed by backplane : 0 Watts

Mod Ports Card Type                              Model              Serial No.

---+-----+--------------------------------------+------------------+-----------

1     8  4900M 10GE (X2)                        WS-C4900M          JAE16320901

2     0  Unsupported module                     WS-X4908-10G-RJ45  JAE16430070

M MAC addresses                    Hw  Fw           Sw               Status

--+--------------------------------+---+------------+----------------+---------

1 d48c.b5d0.b2c0 to d48c.b5d0.b2c7 1.8 12.2(44r)SG1 12.2(53)SG5      Ok

2 d48c.b59c.49dc to d48c.b59c.49eb 1.0                               Unsupport

Thanks in advance,

Dan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

When considering the IOS upgrade there are usually quite a number of points you should bear in mind. The exhaustive decision process is beyond the scope of this conversation. You will learn much more by experience I am sure.

These are my few comments:

As all the offered IOS versions for your box are at the ED (Early Deployment) release designation your choice of the latest available release is probably good choice.

It is always essential to consider both RAM and Flash requirements for the new IOS. These you can find at the Cisco download site and in your particular case all the 15.1(2) SG images have the same requirements (DRAM 512MB, Flash 128MB).

It is usually good practice to consult Release Notes for the new IOS. For your choosen IOS version please see the document at the link beneath:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/release/note/OL_27992-01.html

Please note the minimum ROMMON release requirement. You can find your current ROMMON release at the output of "sh ver" command.

From the Release Notes document you can usually find different features as for the different images (software packages).

Please note there are licensing rules. Even if you may be entitled to download any IOS image the users are usually licensed to upgrade within the current software set only (ie. LAN Base, IP Base, Enterprise). Your conditions may vary so please consult your Cisco sales contact. Again you can see your current software set at the output of "sh ver" command.

When choosing between ssh (ie. crypto) and W/O (ie. without) crypto I would generally prefer crypto version as customers sooner or later would require this feature. But again there are some licensing restrictions so please check what is pertinent to your country and business.

I hope my English makes sense.

Good Luck!

Best regards,

Antonin

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

amikat
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

The minimum software requirement to support this module is 12.2(54)SG while yours is 12.2(53)SG5 only. Will you please upgrade.

Best regards,

Antonin

Hey there Amikat,

Thanks for your reply.  I have been preparing my enivornment for an IOS upgrade such as I saved my current running config to the TFTP server I created.  I been researching how to upgrade and I have now came to the cisco download software site.  I am thinking I will upgrade to the latest release which looks like 15.1-2SG(ED)

I am confused what the differences are or which IOS I should choose my options are:

1. Enterprise Services W/O Crypto

2. Enterprise Services SSH

3. IP BASE W/O Crypto

4. IP Base SSH

It looks like they are all about the same size.  I would like to choose the one that has the most features which I assume is number 1, Enterprise Services W/O Cypto.  I wonder if there is a standard?  Or maybe you have suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

When considering the IOS upgrade there are usually quite a number of points you should bear in mind. The exhaustive decision process is beyond the scope of this conversation. You will learn much more by experience I am sure.

These are my few comments:

As all the offered IOS versions for your box are at the ED (Early Deployment) release designation your choice of the latest available release is probably good choice.

It is always essential to consider both RAM and Flash requirements for the new IOS. These you can find at the Cisco download site and in your particular case all the 15.1(2) SG images have the same requirements (DRAM 512MB, Flash 128MB).

It is usually good practice to consult Release Notes for the new IOS. For your choosen IOS version please see the document at the link beneath:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/release/note/OL_27992-01.html

Please note the minimum ROMMON release requirement. You can find your current ROMMON release at the output of "sh ver" command.

From the Release Notes document you can usually find different features as for the different images (software packages).

Please note there are licensing rules. Even if you may be entitled to download any IOS image the users are usually licensed to upgrade within the current software set only (ie. LAN Base, IP Base, Enterprise). Your conditions may vary so please consult your Cisco sales contact. Again you can see your current software set at the output of "sh ver" command.

When choosing between ssh (ie. crypto) and W/O (ie. without) crypto I would generally prefer crypto version as customers sooner or later would require this feature. But again there are some licensing restrictions so please check what is pertinent to your country and business.

I hope my English makes sense.

Good Luck!

Best regards,

Antonin

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card