Views
Helpful
Replies

Command to Light Up Switch for Identification

Patrick McHenry
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I've searched and searched, but can't find the command to light up an individual switch in a stack for identification. I could have sworn I have used this before...or maybe it was a dream....I don't know now. This would come in handy when dealing with remote site contacts without having to talk them through pressing the mode button, stopping at stack, and then reading the ports that light up for switch identification - which can be a challenge at times.

Thank you. Pat

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Pat, 

Remote port LED flashing is the exclusive domain of the Nexus family of switches.  Catalyst switches will NOT have this feature.  

Nooooooo....not even 3850s?

Thanks

I've been told by a non-Cisco person the answer is only Nexus will have this feature.  

So Cisco Meraki has a blink LED to identify just about all network devices. Too bad cisco cat3,5,7,9 don't have this.

@nickleggerlendingclub wrote:

So Cisco Meraki has a blink LED to identify just about all network devices. Too bad cisco cat3,5,7,9 don't have this.

I can still confirm 3850 (16.12.X) do/will not have this feature.

Catalyst 9300 have this feature.  The enable command is "hw-module beacon slot <1-16> on".  To turn off the "blinders" (that what I call them) use "hw-module beacon slot <1-16> OFF".

So far, the option to "blink" the switchports is not present.  

NOTE: 

• 9500 does not support this feature.
  • I do not have a 9200, 9400 & 9600 to verify.

I can confirm on 9200 the command "hw-module beacon on switch <#>" works.

Switch 1 Beacon LED turned ON

Switch 1 Beacon LED turned OFF

worked on a 9500 vstack, thanks!

Hello
"ID/Beacon LED Indicator (Applies Only to the WS-C3850-12S, WS-C3850-24S , WS-C3850-12XS, and WS-C3850-24XS Switches"

conf t
hw-module beacon on/off switch x

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

drewlowe89
Level 1
Level 1

Could always set port security to trigger the error disable on a switch then look for the amber light

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card