cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP binding configuration issue!

Spinu Viorel
Level 1
Level 1

I learned that there are 2 ways for dhcp bindings configuration: a)client-identifier ; b)hardware-address

And also I noticed that "show ip dhcp bindings" shows me the MAC addresses in 2 ways: 1) 001c.bfa0.3aae and 2) 0100.1cbf.a03a.ae

I also noticed that if I use a) method I have the 1) output of the MAC , and method b) the output 2) .

Did I noticed correctly?

Why there are two ways for configuring dhcp bindings. This took me 3 days to configure a dhcp binding.

Note: I used till now method a) (all host conected through UTP); recently I connected a wireless laptop and it did not work, unless I used method b).

Can u explain those diffrences?

Thank u!

2 Replies 2

wong34539
Level 6
Level 6

Client-Identifier

To specify a Microsoft Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) client's unique identifier (in dotted-hexadecimal notation), use the client-identifier DHCP pool configuration command.

client-identifier unique-identifier

The distinct identification of the client in dotted-hexadecimal notation, for example, 01b7.0813.8811.66.

Hardware-address

To specify the hardware address of a Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) client, use the hardware-address DHCP pool configuration command. It is valid for manual bindings only.

hardware-address hardware-address type

hardware-address: Specifies the MAC address of the client's hardware platform

type: Indicates the protocol of the hardware platform. Strings and values are acceptable. The string options are:

• ethernet

• ieee802

The value options are:

• 1 10Mb Ethernet

• 6 IEEE 802

If no type is specified, the default protocol is Ethernet

The following example specifies b708.1388.f166 as the MAC address of the client:

hardware-address b708.1388.f166

Don't be mad of me :D

I did not understand what u have said about hardware-address.

Let me tell what I did understand:

- if I have a microsoft dhcp client I have to use: client-identifier 01b7.0813.8811.66

- if I have other than microsoft dhcp client (let's say linux dhcp clients) I have to use: hardware-address b708.1388.f166 [type]

Is this right? I kind of noticed this behaviour.

I also used client-identifier with linux clients and it is working.

It is confusing for me. I did not see in any official cisco documentation the diffrence between those two dhcp parameters.

Thank u for reply!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card