Helpful
Replies

Internet Router - Please Help

mmtantawi
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

--------------

I have One Router connected to the Internet through MY ISP.

-

this Router have 2 Interfaces as following :-

A.Int F0/0 :-

description Interface connected to ISP-ROUTER

ip ddress 192.168.1.4 255.255.255.0

duplex auto

speed auto

---------------------------------

B.Int F0/0 :-

description Interface Conected to PIX-Firewall

ip address 194.168.1.7 255.255.255.0

ip access-group 103 out

duplex auto

speed auto

--------------------------------

the Version of this Router is Cisco 1841.

------------------

Now for some test , i have another router which is 2801 without any Configurations.

My question is , can i build or make the same confiugrations with the same settings of IPs on the Interfaces, exactly as Cisco 1801 , and i will Not connect it to the life Network , unless the first router get down .

so do you think it will work, so when ever the Router 1841, get down or something happen with it, i will directly shut down the first one and unplug it from the Power and put the another one 2801 and start working .

is that possible or not ?

3 Replies 3

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

YES,

if you have an 1801 with the proper FE interface and WAN interface, then you can most likely configure all the required commands to be able to use this router as a replacement in case the original dies.

there are a few IOS concerns you'll want to watch out for. different IOS versions have different command sets and even different syntaxs of the same command.

this should be possible as long as the 1801 has the required interfaces.

Thanks for your reply.

what do you mean by :-

( if you have an 1801 with the proper FE interface and WAN interface, then you can most likely configure all the required commands to be able to use this router as a replacement in case the original dies).

i am taking about the other router which is 2801, becuase this router ( 2801 ), will work for me as backup.

so in case of any thing happen to the Router ' original router which is 1801', i will directly put the router 2801 and put the cable on it and then power it on and all the other users will be able to access internet as if the Original router '1801 ' was working .

so my question is , do you think it will work or not ?

( Forget about the HSRP &GLBP ) , deal with me as if i am not expert at all .

do you think it will work or not ?

BTW, both router have the same interface which is FE 0/0 & FE 0/1 .

except the 2801 have serial and no configuration on the router 2801 and no configuration at all on the interface it self for Router 2801 . while 1801 have no serial and no conifugration also for it on the 1801 .

so do you think it will work ?

please reply on me as soon as possible .

Hello Mohammed,

what you are suggesting should work. Basically, your 2801 router has the same interface and IP address configuration as your 1801 router; in case of a hardware failure of the 1801, just replacing the router with the 2801 will reconnect you to your ISP without problems (keeping in mind that it takes about 1-2 minutes for the 2801 to boot...)

HTH,

GNT

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card