cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Known issues with WS-6548-GE-TX Module

abbas.ali
Level 1
Level 1

Where on CCO, I can check for any known issues or bugs (Field Notices) for Cisco Catalyst Modules.  I recently installed a module WS-6548-GE-TX  in Catalyst 6500 chassis with the IOS 12.1(27b) E4.  The earlier version 12.1(11) didnt support the WS-6548-GE-TX so Cisco TAC recommended to upgrade.  The upgrade took care of the module, but then we got an another issue which was the ports on the modules didn't communicate properly with HP-Virtual Connect Flex-10 Module.  The physical ports and Port Channels were up, but we couldn't browse the Network behind Virtual-Connect Flex-10 Module.  Finally, I found out that WS-6548-GE-TX had some known issues and would drop dot2.q packets on the link below: I couldn't call TAC since the customer doesn't have an smartnet contract.  I didn't see if the module's known issue can be fixed with the simple upgrade and will appreicate if someone can review the link and advise what will be the proper IOS upgrade will fix the issue.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/ts/fn/200/fn26096.html

If the issue can't be fixed then I will need to replace the WS-6548-GE-TX with the one spare module WS-6408-GBIC that I have, but want to make sure that this module doesn't have any known issues with dot1.q dropped packets.  Is there any special link on CCO where Cisco documents the modules with the known issues.

Best Regards,

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Wait a sec ... You are using the 6548-GE-TX to connect to high-speed servers????

That's not what this card was designed to do. 

If you want to connect servers to a distro/core switch using a 6500 then you should be looking at the 6748 as the 6148 and 6548 are ACCESS blade modules.

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

This was a very old bug.

The link you refer to also states the releases in which the bug is fixed:

Fixed-In 

7.6(2.3)

8.1(1.8)

8.1(1.9)

8.2(0.18)DEL

12.1(19.4)E

12.2(17a)SX Fixed-In 
7.6(2.3)
8.1(1.8)
8.1(1.9)
8.2(0.18)DEL
>>> 12.1(19.4)E
12.2(17a)SX

It should be fixed in the release you are currently using.

For the rest, leolahoo has a point as well when he states this is not the right module for the application.

It has fewer asics causing all poorts to be overbooked. This is appropriate for an access card but not in a server environment.

regards,

Leo

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card