Helpful
Replies

Problems with a new 2960-X Switch

Scott Paananen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there, 

This is my first time here. 

I have a new 2960-X 48 port swtich, and i am trying to do the first time config. on it. I have a cable plugged into the console port and am using putty to connect to it. When the switch starts i see the following on putty 

CPU rev: B
Image passed digital signature verification
Board rev: 25
Testing DataBus...
Testing AddressBus...
Testing Memory from 0x00000000 to 0x1fffffff.../

But nothing happens after this. What is wrong? At first the slash starts to spin  and then i hear the fans start up and the spinning stops. 

I have the cable connect, and s putty started and listening on the serial port before i power on the switch 

Can some one please help me?

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

It appears that the switch is not able to load fully due to possible software issues.  It could also be a hardware issue.  If you have a service contract with Cisco, you can call TAC for assistant, if not you can try loading a different IOS to the device using the console port and see if the problem disappears.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/blog/151336/loading-ios-switch-xmodem

HTH

ok i'll try that thanks. 

Is this common? This is a brand new switch,  it was just taken out of the box. i

No it is not common, as Reza mentioned you should open a case with the Cisco TAC, they will evaluate the situation and submit a RMA form if it is required. 

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

So it looks like it was a problem with the driver for the USB to Serial adapter on the computer I was using, When i tried a different PC, it worked great. Thanks for the help :) 

Hi

Do you see any led on amber color on the faceplate ? Is the console cable connected properly? nothing happens pressing enter? How long it is freezed?

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card