Views
Helpful
Replies

RIP routing table not loading routes.

cruxcomputing
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys n Gals,

I am having a bit of trouble with an assignment I am doing in packet tracer.
I don't have the files handy until the eve, so will send pics/files later if required.
My problem is that I have an access router connected to 3 separate clusters of networks each running different routing protocols. the first and original network is sub-netted into 2 and running basic dynamic routing of the networks all directly connected to the access router.
Second network is running static routing and has 2 sub-nets and two routers with 2 static links between router 1 and the access router and router 1 and router 2.

These 2 clusters of networks and the access router configurations are all functioning fine and everything on them (4 PC's and 2 servers) can ping one another and all the ports and links.

This is where my problem comes in:

I have now built out the third network cluster off the access router which will be configured with RIP routing Version 2.
I have 6 network addresses between the access router and the 3 routers and 3 PC's in this newly built section of the network.
I have enabled RIP routing and gone through the process of adding all 6 network addresses to each router in this section (3 routers linked back to the access router via router 3.
So line goes access router to router 3 (via se 0/0/0 on router 3 and se 0/0/1 i think on access router).

router 3 has a PC via Gig 0/0 and another router (router 4) from se 0/1/0.

router 4 has a PC gig 0/0 and the final router (router 5) from se 0/1/0. Router 5 also links to the final PC.

So I was confident I had put all network addresses into each router:

router# en

router#conf t

router (config)# router rip

router (config)# version 2

router (config)# network 172.31.120.x for each address and each router.

(I put a lot of these commands in in bulk through the paste command in the CLI on packet tracer - I'm not sure if this can cause an issue?)

When I tried to ping from anywhere past the access router (in the original 2 networks) into the new RIP configured network) the ping would fail to reach Router 3. I could ping the port that network side of the access router but no further and the dropping point was the same in the other direction.

So I went back to check the routing tables to see if I had missed a network anywhere. Multiple networks were missing from several of the routers?!? I tried to manually insert all the missing networks one by one, no copy paste. Re-checked the routing tables and the same issue, the router would not update the table to include them despite the command seeming to go through on the CLI?
I also tried to do this via config on the router and using the gui type interface that packet tracer provides and it simply would not accept the new network address there either (I press add with the network in the box and nothing happens except the box clearing itself).

I feel like this is an issue with packet tracer rather than something I have done wrong, but I am new to this and would love some feedback to prove me wrong so I can fix it or if this is a known issue, hat I can do to resolve it, I am happy to delte the new routers and re-do, but I would really LOVE to avoid having to re-configure the access router as that would have all the other protocols and port info as well as the RIP stuff!

I hope that is clear enough, please ask for more clarity and I will provide this eve.
TIA all.
Crux

9 Replies 9

Hello,

post your zipped Packet Tracer project (.pkt) file...

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Believe need to see your PT file.

However, found your description of adding all routes to all routers questionable as you should only need to add networks that a router has interfaces for.

cruxcomputing
Level 1
Level 1

According to this chat box, "The file type (.pkt) is not supported. ".
so here are some screenshots

Packet Tracer AT4.png

Packet tracer AT4 routing tables.png

  Like I mentioned, pings are working across all of the 172.31.120.x network range but wont cross the access router past the local port.
I think I realised why I didn't think it was uploading new network routes I just wasn't realising that they would not all be allocated a R if they were in the RIP routing table and some were under Local (L) or connected (C). so I think all the networks are accounted for but I am still stuck as to why I cannot ping past the access router.
TIA.

Hello, you need to ZIP the .pkt file. You can use e.g. 7-ZIP...

cruxcomputing
Level 1
Level 1

Here is the .PKT file Zipped.

Hello,

what are the router passwords ?

cruxcomputing
Level 1
Level 1

AAAh haha, sorry yes that would be helpful hey!

They are access# cisco and enable# class

Hello,

I added RIPv2 to all routers (the 'no auto-summary' command is crucial), and removed all static routes. You have full connectivity, check the attached, revised file...

cruxcomputing
Level 1
Level 1

Ah I think that must be what I missed. Thank you so much really appreciate the help.
Have an excellent week good sir.

Sincerely

Crux

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card