cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SSH password question

Sam Sanders
Level 1
Level 1

This is a total noob question so I apologize.  I have some C3750 switches that I am trying to config so that only SSH can be be used to log on.  I successfully did this on one of the switches, and can no longer use telnet, but can use SSH to log on to it. However, on another switch, I did basically the same thing, and it was successful in that I can no longer telnet to it, but on this one, the password for logging onto SSH is not the same as what I expected it to be, (LOL), and I don't have any idea what it is. My guess is that I never set a SSH password on this one.  I've tried using cisco for both username and password to no avail. I tried the enable password also to no avail. So... if I never specified a password for SSH, is there a default password for SSH, or is it simply not possible to log on with SSH at all until an SSH password is set via a console session?  My gut feeling is that I will have to console into it and set the SSH password, but if anyone knows an alternative, please let me know, and thanks in advance. 

Sam L. 

2 Replies 2

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

HI,

If you cannot ssh into the box and you have disabled telnet, then your only option  is to console in and fix the problem.

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

Moses Fernandes
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Sam,

If you are sure that the password you typed is cisco. I'd suggest you to

1. type the password with caps on/off.

2.If you've created a user on your switch. Try the following command.

ssh -l (user) (IP of C3750 switches)

3.power cycle the device (power off/on). It will erase the unsaved running config and you should be able to login with the old credentials.

4. Console

If any suggestion(s) helps you resolve the issue make is as answer.
It will help others as well.

Regards,

Moses.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card