cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Document's in PDF Format not available sometimes

shane.orr
Level 4
Level 4

I like to keep an offline PDF of my configuration/installation/adminGuides/etc.. but started noticing a few that were only available in HTML. In particular recently with Meeting Place 7.0. This makes it difficult to search for a keyword because I dont know which chapter it might be in. Plus I cant read about it offline :(

Anyone no why some groups have chosen not to publish the PDF?

26 Replies 26

Well, I did end up getting a new Kindle, and it works fine for me.  I don't have any general problems with tables.  It formats all of the PDFs I've tried acceptably.  The ability to use bookmarks within the PDFs would be great, but that is more of a support issue on the Kindle than the contents of the PDFs available from Cisco.  I've already requested this feature with Amazon, and if you have a Kindle and would like that also I'd encourage you to create a case with them and request it also.

Thanks,

Fred Reimer, CCIE 23812, CISSP 107125

Senior Systems Architect

Presidio Networked Solutions

You can use your Kindle to "Add a Bookmark" & "Add a Note or Highlight" but only if you run your PDF through the PDF convert process.  The downside is converted PDFs tend to screw up the formatting a bit - especially tables.  If you just copy the PDF directly to your kindle it looks 100% but you can't search, highlight, add notes, or bookmark.

Read my previous post.

-Andy

Are you sure you are using the new Kindle, with the enhanced PDF reader?  Because I just double-checked to make sure I didn't dream it, but I do have bookmarks, that I created, in my Kindle for PDFs.  It will not use the embedded bookmarks in the PDF itself, such as in the table of contents available in most PDFs, but you can certainly add your own.  I can also use the search function on my Kindle in PDFs.  And this is not with any sort of converted PDF, this is with original PDFs dragged and dropped to the Kindle when it is hooked up to the computer.  Note that the process of adding a bookmark for a PDF that is thousands of pages in size may take a while, but it does work.

Maybe you should call Amazon and open a case.

Senior Systems Architect

I just re-tested with the famous CUCM 8.X SRND, and the original PDF looks great, I can search, I can add bookmarks, and I can add notes.  Perhaps Andy has a defective unit...

You still can't use the embedded bookmarks within the PDF, so if you want that, complain to Amazon.  Open a case, and send feedback to kindle-feedback@amazon.com.

HTH,

Senior Systems Architect

If you convert the document then the embedded bookmarks DO work.

-andy

Let me clarify myself a bit:

First of all - you are correct -  just dragging a PDF to your Kindle is all you need to do to be able to set "Bookmarks" & "add Notes".

I have a Kindle 3 - the newest Kindle.  The problem is that if you just drag the PDF to your Kindle the font size is not changeable.  Yes you can ZOOM in on certain sections of your document but thats not reading - thats image viewing.  The Aa key on your Kindle will ZOOM your entire document but not change the text/font size and reflow the document.  If you convert the document to a native PDF it functions like a 100% Kindle ebook - the downside being the formatting gets a bit screwed up.  I'm sure on the Kindle DX with its big screen this is not an issue but on my Kindle 3 with its 6" screen if I don't convert the document I'll go blind trying to read the really small tiny print.  I had an iPad and brought it back because it was too heavy - the Kindle DX has the same problem for me.

Thanks!

-Andy

If you rotate the text to view in landscape mode it is readable, at least for me.  Holding it like a book, about a foot from your face, it is not that bad, IMO.

As far as the zoom, I already sent feedback and opened a case with Amazon on the inability to zoom to a particular percentage, instead of fixed levels.  It would also help if they allowed "reflow" in PDF's.  However, given the current capabilities of the Kindle, I believe the format of the PDFs is fine coming from Cisco.  One interesting idea would be to format the PDFs with a smaller page size.  Then, they should show up on the Kindle a little larger.  Some of the tables may not fit with a smaller page size though, so it may be a more work than Cisco is willing to go through...

Thanks,

Senior Systems Architect

You can convert PDFs to Kindle format as you email them to your Kindle. From the Amazon documentation:

To have your PDF documents converted to Kindle format so you can take advantage of functionality such as variable font size, annotation, Text-to-Speech, etc., type "Convert" in the subject of the e-mail when you submit your personal document to "name"@free.kindle.com. Image-heavy PDF files are presented in landscape orientation and don't work with devices that have auto-rotation, so those will be delivered in the Kindle format.

jorjones
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

We appreciate the time you have taken to provide feedback on ways that we can facilitate your access of Cisco technical documentation on Amazon Kindle devices.

We have native Kindle support on our list as a goal, along with support for the ePub format (used in the Apple iPad, Barnes and Noble Nook Reader, and the Sony Reader, as well as others). However, because of the ubiquity of mobile devices, the first of our new outputs is expected to be WebKit (mobile web-optimized) HTML.

I hope you will remain engaged in the community, and that when we are ready to pilot some Kindle-optimized PDF content and Kindle-native content, you will be willing to take a look at it and give us some feedback.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Jordan Jones

Sr. Manager, Software Development Engineering

Product Development Services, Content Management Services

Cisco Systems, Inc.

simionov.adrian
Level 1
Level 1

I can tell you that I took my Kindle DX especially for Cisco PDFs and cisco press PDF books.

And is ok, only with one condition: I have to use "briss" software to remove extra white space from margins. If I do this, is amazing. Otherwise, the font can be too small. I do not recommand to anyone to try to transform the PDF file to a mobile format, it will not look to good. And yes, Kindle DX can support books with 1000+ pages, without any problems. The only problem is when the page too rich in information, like Quick Sheet Reference Guides, and the page can load in 20-30 seconds.

I just hope that Cisco will add one day in the future the option to download the documents directly in a mobile format also, not only in PDF.

I'm assuming you mean this, Daniel: http://sourceforge.net/projects/briss/. Is that correct? I'd be interested to know what you think of this product.

Yes, this is the software. It is a good software, updated often, will crop the files quite fast.

We (I'm seen a lot of people using this at work) are using this for:

cropping before putting the files on Kindle (font will become bigger)

cropping before printing as booklet. a normal Cisco document is ok, but for A4, but usually we are printing as booklet, and font is too small in the booklet format. Maybe Cisco will realize this in the future and will allow more formats, I'm quite sure this formats are generated on the fly, and they have the HTML format.

Only one think I don't like at this software: when you crop, you click, drag, and release, is not possible to modify this area, by resizing, if you don't like the area, you have to make a new full action: click, drag, release. Except this, is perfect for Kindle and booklets.

Hope it helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: