Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1 Camera on 2 C40 Codecs

Hi,

One of our customer have existing C40 Telepresence video system and they want to add another C40 codec and connect it to the camera of the existing C40 system. One camera shared into a two units of C40 codecs. Same room/location where to setup the additional codec.

The objective why the customer want this setup because the existing C40 system was used by one of their business partner and dedicated for that specific partner. They want to invest another C40 codec for their own video conference meetings and for budget reason they just want to buy a codec and use the existing camera of the other C40 system.

Same audio and video resources will be used. Audio and video distribution amplifiers are not a problem on this setup.

My concern is that, is it possible to use a RJ45 splitter for the camera control going to the two C40 codecs. The codecs will not be powered on at the same time.

And what could happen and  if the two codecs are accidentally powered on simulteneously.?? Could it damage the camera?

Looking forward for your recommendations and ideas.

Thank you!

Acevirgil

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Ravi Yadav
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Acevirgil,

This is something not an ideal set up and i do not thing anyone would have tried it yet. and it will work on not its not gauranteed.

Now you will be using spillter on HDMI and RJ45 port,

be sure that you make a proper splitter as per the control cable pinouts. if the cable is long enough  as per the prescribed length you would need to power up the camera externally. and about you question if both the codec power up will that blow the camera answer is NO (as per me), that power is not that high.

so you can go ahead and try it first by making a splitter and test it before starting the purchase.

it may work if the cabling is done properly.

Thanks

Ravi kr.

View solution in original post

Hi Ace,

the reason i answered as per you query was keeping in mind to use the full functionality of the device.

if there is no camera connected to the codec codec will always understand there is no camera device connected

there would be an video input source as HDMI. which will serve the purpose.

You will not be able to use any features like preset on camera

camera standby fuctionality will not be managed by the codec. camera may not go to standby mode ever

in one word camera will just show what its see and for direction you will use the remote  if that solves the users purpose it would be the simplest way .

now you are not even connecting the existing codec as well with the control cable

turnning IR on camera would no longer be an option/supported by codec as there is no connection , by default the IR works

Rest is fine as per your setup.

Thanks

Ravi Kr.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Ravi Yadav
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Acevirgil,

This is something not an ideal set up and i do not thing anyone would have tried it yet. and it will work on not its not gauranteed.

Now you will be using spillter on HDMI and RJ45 port,

be sure that you make a proper splitter as per the control cable pinouts. if the cable is long enough  as per the prescribed length you would need to power up the camera externally. and about you question if both the codec power up will that blow the camera answer is NO (as per me), that power is not that high.

so you can go ahead and try it first by making a splitter and test it before starting the purchase.

it may work if the cabling is done properly.

Thanks

Ravi kr.

Ravi Yadav
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

i am not sure if you were so qucik to make this cable however just in case you make it later then do update me if it worked fine for you.

Thanks

Ravi kr.

If you wanted to do this way I would suggest switching between codecs rather than trying to use a splitter.  There's equipment that can do this gracefully, although it would probably cost more than a second camera

Hi Ravi,

Thank you for your help and ideas.

We will now eliminate the use of a RJ45 splitter for the camera control and its not a good option.

We already have a best solution to offer for the customer setup.

1. We will only use a HDMI video splitter from camera output to each codec's HDMI input.

2. Connect an external power supply on the camera.

3. Eliminate the camera control cable going to the codec.

4.Turn the IR settings of one codec to ON.

5.Turn the IR settings of camera to on.

6.Turn the IR settings of second codec to ON

7.Point  the remote control to the respective codec to access its menu and other  settings  but for any camera control (PTZ) you would have to point the remote  back to the camera.

I think this is the best option.

Please agree with me if this option is OK.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Ace

Hi Ace,

the reason i answered as per you query was keeping in mind to use the full functionality of the device.

if there is no camera connected to the codec codec will always understand there is no camera device connected

there would be an video input source as HDMI. which will serve the purpose.

You will not be able to use any features like preset on camera

camera standby fuctionality will not be managed by the codec. camera may not go to standby mode ever

in one word camera will just show what its see and for direction you will use the remote  if that solves the users purpose it would be the simplest way .

now you are not even connecting the existing codec as well with the control cable

turnning IR on camera would no longer be an option/supported by codec as there is no connection , by default the IR works

Rest is fine as per your setup.

Thanks

Ravi Kr.

Hi Ravi,

Thank you for confirming that this kind of setup will work. Actually we did a test with this kind of setup and works fine and some features on the camera like presets and standby mode features will not work but these features are not the major needs to satisfy the customer's need.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Acevirgil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: