cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

A few basic telepresence questions

billmatthews
Level 1
Level 1

We our a small company, a single site (150 users) with a BE6K running CUCM 10, a 2911 gateway, and a SIP trunk to our ITSP.  We haven't done any video.

We recently acquired a MX300 from a previous tenant in our building.  I know our BE6K has various telepresence capabilities, but we haven't let licensed anything.  

What would be our best options to look at?  Our goal would be to use the MX300 to create video conferences with third parties.  My understanding is I just need the telepresence room license for internal conferences, and the rich media session licenses for external?  

How does this compare with WebEx?  Does WebEx integrate with (or replace) the need for the rich media session licenses?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

For conferences to external parties, it depends on how your SIP gateway and provider are configured - it may not be suitable for video (you'd have to check the configuration on your SIP trunk, 2911 and whether your provider supports it).  It might work, but it would be a bit of a pain.

For your scenario, you'd either want to look at Cisco's "Collaboration Edge" products or alternatively as you only have one endpoint, just connect the MX300 to a stand alone internet connection and don't integrate with CUCM at all.  The Collaboration Edge stuff is pretty good (and maybe free with CUCM 10?) but it's a fair amount of extra complexity if all you want to do is support a single endpoint.  Hooking the MX300 up behind a DSL connection (prefferably without anyting else on the same link) will allow you to make and recieve calls over the internet with a little bit of configuration.

Thank you, +5

So is Collaboration Edge just a marketing term for the same suite of products -- in this case Expressway?

Would either solution (MX300 direct to Internet or Collaboration Edge) support using the endpoint with Webex Telepresence? 

"Collaboration Edge" is the collective term for Expressway-Edge and Expressway-Core, which are essentially cut down versions of VCS-Expressway and VCS-Control respectively.  Both provide a firewall traversal solution allowing you to proxy SIP based video to and from the internet from your internal network.  VCS also does H323 and can interwork between H323 and SIP but it sounds like you probably don't need that.

Not sure about WebEx Telepresence sorry, I haven't really read much about it.  Hopefully someone else can assist with that one.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: