cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

All About Stacking MCU 5300 series

Hi everyone,

As my subject above,

I want to ask several questions about Stacking MCU 5300 series,

1.     What type of MCU 5300 series that stackable? 5310+5310? or 5310+5320? or 5320+5320?

2.     If I stacking MCU 5320+5320, can I make conference call with 40 HD participants within one conference room?

3.     How about the layout?

4.     What the different between stacking and cascading MCU?

Please advise,

Thanks,

Ovindo Prastyo Utomo

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Ovindo -

For questions 1 and 2, you can take a look at this powerpoint that shows the different stackable combinations for the 5300 series MCU, as well as port capacity for each.

As far as the layouts, the 5300 series follow the same layouts as past MCUs such as the 4000 series and MSE 8510.  In the MCU 5300 admin guide, it covers some of these layouts.

Stacking is just another word as clustering when compaired to other MCUs, it allows you to join two or more MCUs (only two can be stacked/clustered in the MCU 5300 series).  Once stacked together, the two MCUs are treated as one large MCU.

Cascading, creates a participant link between two MCUs.  One MCU dials into another as a participant and is treated as such to allow for greater participants to attend a conference from another MCU if one is at capacity.

Hope this helps some.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Ovindo -

For questions 1 and 2, you can take a look at this powerpoint that shows the different stackable combinations for the 5300 series MCU, as well as port capacity for each.

As far as the layouts, the 5300 series follow the same layouts as past MCUs such as the 4000 series and MSE 8510.  In the MCU 5300 admin guide, it covers some of these layouts.

Stacking is just another word as clustering when compaired to other MCUs, it allows you to join two or more MCUs (only two can be stacked/clustered in the MCU 5300 series).  Once stacked together, the two MCUs are treated as one large MCU.

Cascading, creates a participant link between two MCUs.  One MCU dials into another as a participant and is treated as such to allow for greater participants to attend a conference from another MCU if one is at capacity.

Hope this helps some.

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the response,

Let say I have two 5320 MCUs that stacked together,
So I have 40 HD port right?
Can I have 40 participants (endpoints+jabbers) within a conference room?

Please advise :)

Thanks

Ovindo

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Correct, per that powerpoint you can.  Each endpoint and Jabber participant will take up 1 media port, so you can have up to 40 connected.  Note, even though you might not have Jabber configured to do HD or the bandwidth isn't there, they will still take up a single HD port.

Great!

One more question,
Is there any limitation if I use stacked 5320 MCUs compared with 4520 MCU for example?

Yes, there are several functions of the older MCUs that have been removed from the MCU 5300 series.

Take a look here, it covers the functions that were removed.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3756476

Is there any else requirement for stacking two MCU5320 like additional license or just need to purchase additional stack cable?

No additional licenses, just the stacking cable.  I don't recall if it comes with a stacking cable or not, I know last year we were looking into the MCU 5300 series, and I can't remember what they quoted us or said about the stacking cable.  As you can only stack/cluster two MCU 5300s, only one cable is required.

Patrick,

Thanks for help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: