cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Anyone know why a Edge 95 MXP will call itself?

Philip Flinn
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Edge 95 MXP and it call's itself all the time.. the call is a SIP call from 100@it's IP address and is a 64K call. I have not power the unit off because it is up in the ceiling.  The unit is also registered as a 3rd party endpoint in Call Manager 10.5....... The unit can make calls in and out to our other video units fine. I have had to set the unit to Auto Answer so it does not constantly ring. 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Usually it's because your getting scanned by applications such as SIPVicous trying detect possibilities for exploiting PSTN trunks over SIP UDP.

This is typically mitigated by closing the firewall ports for the endpoint or making some changes to it's configuration.  On a C/EX/SX/MX series codec running TC software that's easy, however I don't know the equivalent commands (if there are any) for an MXP codec.  Though you should be able to block the scans that cause this by closing UDP port 5060 if the codec is open in your firewall.  If it's going through a call control server such as a VCS you could disable UDP, I don't know about CUCM.

This has been asked many times over, doing a search of the forums for "100@" found the following results, though they all have to do with either a C Series codec or VCS, but it's all the same issue.  The device is publicly reachable via the internet, it's just a matter of either closing down or adjusting the configuration of the endpoint and/or the call control server.

lot-calls-numbers-100-and-101-looks-self-calls

strange-calling-loop-c40

cisco-vcs-alarm-call-license-limit-reached

c20-phantom-callers

View solution in original post

Here's another one in addition to the ones mentioned by Patrick, this is also an Edge 95MXP: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12305561/vcs-expressway-intermittently-calls-internet-based-system

Simplest way, but might not be workable for you since you're using a CUCM; turn off SIP on the system.

If you have a VCS as well as the CUCM then all is good as you can register it with the VCS and create a SIP trunk between the CUCM and VCS, and the VCS will take care of the SIP/H.323 interworking.

I'm going to assume your Edge 95MXP is on a public IP address, so another alternative would be to NAT it.

/jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Usually it's because your getting scanned by applications such as SIPVicous trying detect possibilities for exploiting PSTN trunks over SIP UDP.

This is typically mitigated by closing the firewall ports for the endpoint or making some changes to it's configuration.  On a C/EX/SX/MX series codec running TC software that's easy, however I don't know the equivalent commands (if there are any) for an MXP codec.  Though you should be able to block the scans that cause this by closing UDP port 5060 if the codec is open in your firewall.  If it's going through a call control server such as a VCS you could disable UDP, I don't know about CUCM.

This has been asked many times over, doing a search of the forums for "100@" found the following results, though they all have to do with either a C Series codec or VCS, but it's all the same issue.  The device is publicly reachable via the internet, it's just a matter of either closing down or adjusting the configuration of the endpoint and/or the call control server.

lot-calls-numbers-100-and-101-looks-self-calls

strange-calling-loop-c40

cisco-vcs-alarm-call-license-limit-reached

c20-phantom-callers

Here's another one in addition to the ones mentioned by Patrick, this is also an Edge 95MXP: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12305561/vcs-expressway-intermittently-calls-internet-based-system

Simplest way, but might not be workable for you since you're using a CUCM; turn off SIP on the system.

If you have a VCS as well as the CUCM then all is good as you can register it with the VCS and create a SIP trunk between the CUCM and VCS, and the VCS will take care of the SIP/H.323 interworking.

I'm going to assume your Edge 95MXP is on a public IP address, so another alternative would be to NAT it.

/jens

Well thanks to Everyone...... It was a Nat call from the outside...... We applied a ACL in the firewall to block the connection!!!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!!!!!!

Glad to help.  Keep any eye on it, and if it appears to still not be resolved, let us know and we can go from there.

Don't forget to mark questions as answered so others that have the same issue can find helpful posts.