cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Audio Science microphone with SX80?

Darren McKinnon
Level 1
Level 1

Will an audio science microphone work with an SX80?  

12 Replies 12

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Documentation for the Audio Science Microphone is very lacking (almost non-existent), so I'm just basing this off of the installation guide.

It says that the microphone uses and XLR, so I'd assume you could cut the end off and use it with the SX80's block connectors.  Although I suggest you don't cut the end off, and simply take the end of another XLR and create a short piece that gets connected into the SX80, this way you can still use the microphone with other codecs later on.

But you have to remember that the audio science mic requires phantom power.  Perhaps if I use all 4 of the euroblock inputs for the mic, like I did for my SX20, it will work.  Here is a link to a previous discussion with the wiring schematic for this....  This should work. 

Any thoughts?  

Darren

Here is a link to a previous discussion with the wiring schematic for this

Btw, you're link didn't appear in your reply.  Anyway, it should work, according to the SX80 data sheet it provides phantom power to microphones:

• Eight microphones, 48V phantom powered, Euroblock connector, each with separate echo cancellers and noise reduction; all microphones can be set for balanced line level

The SX80 provides the phantom power on the Euroblock connector - so you just need to adapt the Euroblock to an XLR Socket to which you can then connect your mic to.

Just wire XLR Ground to the Euroblock Ground, XLR Minus to Euroblock Minus and XLR Positive to Euroblock Positive.

We make our own here, but you can buy them - example.

Wayne

--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropraite.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Hi

You would certainly hope that the Audio Science mics work with the SX80 as the Cisco Project Workplace (http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/assets/sol/tp/workplace_app/index.html#/scenario/tokyo/0/4) shows them in their room designs.

Regards,

Chris

Good catch Chris!

I think Cisco needs to produce some more detailed installation/deployment guides for integrator codecs to be used with other Cisco TelePresence products it might support - such as the SX80 and Audio Science Microphone.

They do work - you just need to adapt the connector.  We do the same here for lots of other AV componentry that has the Phoenix/Euroblock connectors - most of the audio mixers / AV matrix switches, etc we use have these connectors, and all the microphones we use are XLR.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Hello, I'm currently installing audioscience mics with SX80, I purchased the XLR to euroblock and I'm using the XLR cable provided with the mic, I connected one to the first mic port on the SX using only the first 3 pins of the euroblock but all I'm hearing is static, do I need to change any setting in the codec? do you know the XLR polarization on the mic so I can check if the XLR to euroblock has the same polarization?

Thanks in advance

I'm using one on an SX80 - I just snipped the XLR connector off and wired it up to the included Euroblock connected as per the physical interface guide.  Worked perfectly.

Hello Nick, can you specify from the XLR at the Audioscience which pin is + - and ground?

I don't know on the XLR, only from snipping the wire (I cut it without checking the XLR pinout).  It's probably easier to do it this way than use the connector.

White = +

Black = -

Silver/shielding = ground

Could you please share your feedback on this microphone on performance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: