cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C Series codec fan issue

juriss
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone else experienced noisy fans...  it is loud enought that the system must be shut down and connot be used.

We have now 3 or 4 C40/C60s with noisy fans, this is an easy fix if the system has maintenace, however we do not have maintenace coverage on thse units.

Has anyone opened the codec and replaced the fans thenselves, just curious..

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ken.parlee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there. I have a C60 from a Profile 65 with the same problem and Cisco is unwilling to separate the codec from the full product so the cost of maintenance is too high.

Did you ever figure out how to fix the fans yourself?

Ken

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jens Didriksen
Level 9
Level 9

Yes, we just recently had to RMA a C40 for exactly the same issue.

If you don't have a service contract, well, then I guess you might have to replace the fans yourself.

/jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

I have a Profile 55 (C40) with this same problem and no service contract.  Any luck finding a replacement fan?

Yes, we have found a replacement fan from an electronics wholesaler call Digi-Key   

They have EVERYTHING electronic or connectors, however "Some assembly required"

The fans come with just bare leads (No connector)

Parts are :

Fan =  Digikey part # 381-2459-ND  (just under $15 each) we bought 25 fans

Connector = Digikey part # S9415-ND (less than .05 each) we bought 30 connectors
(One per fan with some spares)

Metal pin that inserts into the connector = Digikey part # S9475CT-ND (less than .05 each) We bought 100 pins (3 per fan with some spares... buy extra if you have limited experience)

Crimp tool to crimp the metal pin onto the wire from the fan = Digikey part # S9472-ND  (around $250 but necessary) We bought 1... cannot crimp the pins of the wire without it) 

All the above parts cost around $625 and allowed us to make 25 fan assemblies

Process was...

- Remove 1 defective fan from an existing unit (Used as a template for building new fan assemblies)

-  With the new fan..   Cut each of the 3 leads to the appropriate length, strip insulation off end of wire and use crimp tool to crimp a pin onto each wire

- Using the bad fan as a template, insert each of the 3 wires into the plastic connector body getting the right color into the right connector slot

(these wires, pins and connectors are pretty small, so good eyes and some experience with wiring is helpful)

We placed the order for these parts back in Feb 2014 so no garrabntee that the parts are still available or what the prices are... (Sales or der # with DigiKey was 38831681)

- Install into the C40 or C60 codec and enjoy the silence..

BTW..  4 fans total and 2 blow in and 2 blow out to be careful when reinstalling them

With that $620 expense, we were able to return at LEAST 15 or 20 Profile systems back into service.   Of course you will void the "Warranty" that has expired a long time ago.

Our customer decided NOT to have SmartNet coverage on a fairly large number of 52 and 55" Profile systems due to the high cost...   so its a win win situation for us...   Noisy fan is about the only failure we get on the profiles, except the NAM fuse 

We even wrote up a instruction manual on how to chanmge the fans...   

SCJ

Thanks for the info.  I actually ordered the same fan from Mouser, but nothing else.  I was planning on just splicing in the wires with the old connectors, but we have not been able to pull the device from service yet.  I guess the fan is not making the noise and they have been happy.

ken.parlee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there. I have a C60 from a Profile 65 with the same problem and Cisco is unwilling to separate the codec from the full product so the cost of maintenance is too high.

Did you ever figure out how to fix the fans yourself?

Ken