cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C40 not booting

davidoates
Level 1
Level 1

Having problems with our TelePresence Intergrator C40. I wasn't present for the change, but another tech changed the IP, GW, etc and rebooted through the web interface. Once it rebooted it never came back up. Connecting to the codec serial port I get the following message:

Couldn't connect to TANDBERG software.

I've attached the full boot sequence. Any ideas of how I can get an OS uploaded or to fix this?

My hands are tied, not getting a response from the vendor, I took over this system which was put in place 3 months ago and I'm unable to get ahold of the people that coordinated the install. The S/N is registered to another support contract not covered under any of my contracts associated with my profile when trying to open a TAC and I'm getting alot of heat to get this thing fixed ASAP.

Thanks for any help!

-Dave

59 Replies 59

Hi Paulo,

My name is Mubashshir and I am from the Telepresence Support Team. The error says that it cannot find the kernal image. It looks like that the software file has been either deleted or corrupted. I think you should start reload a fresh copy of the software image to the codec and the codec will then boot up without issues.

Please follow the steps mentioned in the following link :

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-23161

Once, you install a fresh software image, it would come back fine. If you face any other issues, please feel free to let us know.

Regards,

Mubashshir Akhtar

Thanks Mubashshir Akhtar

Hi Paulo,

I think, software image of your system is completly corrupted, hence due to which it's not even allowing us to login in root. It appears its not your config failure, its image failure.

So i think this document will help you to install new image replacing corrupted image.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-23161

Regards,

Vivek

Hi Mubashshir and Vivek,

thanks for the document.

But I am doing something wrong, because the C40 doesn't get the file from TFTP server:

"AMERICA> setenv serverip 172.20.9.31
AMERICA> setenv tftp_path pkgfiles
AMERICA> setenv americapkg s52000tc5_1_0.pkg
AMERICA> run pkgex
BOOTP broadcast 1
BOOTP broadcast 2
BOOTP broadcast 3
BOOTP broadcast 4
BOOTP broadcast 5

Retry count exceeded; starting again
BOOTP broadcast 1

..."

I have the codec conected to PC just with a serial cable. The files are in the indicated folder and TFTP current directory is point to this one...

Thanks for your help.

regards

Paulo Ferreira

Hi Paulo,

You are going in right direction, that's great .

I have one more suggestion you need to enable DHCP service on tftpd software and you also need to connect your Laptop/Pc connected to Codec with Crossover cable and serial cable.

Serial cable ensure that you have output all the time on your Laptop/PC and LAN cable ensure that file is going from your Laptop/PC to Codec.

Regards,

Vivek

Hi Paulo,

As Vivek mentioned, we would require a DHCP server for this to work. Please setup the DHCP server using these settings :

Then try to perform the above operation again. If you still get this issue, that means that the IP address on the codec is set to be static and not by DHCP. Type the following command in the SATURN or AMERICA prompt:

dhcp

This would grab the IP address from the laptop's DHCP server and then you can follow the operation again.

However, in case the codec is not getting the IP address from the DHCP server, we need to make sure that there is connectivity between the laptop and the codec.

Regards,

Mubashshir Akhtar

Thanks Mubashshir Akhtar

Hello again to all,

and thanks for your help, the codec is finally with a correct software image.

But now I'm back to the intitial point: constant reboot of the codec, I can't even digit the user and password......

Regards

Paulo Ferreira

Hi Paulo,

Can you try these steps again to enable root account in case of constant boot :

1  Connect a serial cable to the system at 38400, 8, N, 1

2  Reboot the system, and hold b until “Press 'b' to enter u-boot” message appears

3  Press c to stop auto boot, then SATURN> or AMERICA> or anyname> prompt will return.

4 type command setenv othbootargs noboot allowroot then hit enter this will not return anything

Also, when you reach the AMERICA prompt, please type selectsw and check which image is active out of the two. It seems that the codec is still booting from the corrupted image.

Regards,

Mubashshir Akhtar

Thanks Mubashshir Akhtar

Hi Paulo,

So after codec recovered, you are not able to login, did you made any configuration changes ?

are you getting login prompt on Codec or anything ?

Do one thing disconnect all the connection from codec except serial and let me know, whether codec still in bootcycle ?

Regards,

Vivek

Hi,

sometimes I'm able to digit the password but just that, then the codec reboots again. Some other times shows ,after digiting the pass admin, the word tsh.

And the other times I'm not even can digit the password, appears the text: "shell: Remote closed connection".

I already tryed with the command: "setenv othbootargs noboot allowroot ".

Vivek, I'm not able to change configuration.

Regards

Paulo Ferreira

Hi Paulo,

I think image is now loaded; however due to some reason may be some conflict or something.

As you mentioned that there is nothing connected, so it seems that something in config is leading issue, not sure when there is no config change.

Now there is something fast we need to do, i would request one las time time to use

"

setenv othbootargs noboot allowroot "

and then reboot codec using , boot/reboot command

when login prompt appear, login as root, then you will get prompt like

~)$

run command

rm /mnt/base/active/config.db

and typr command reboot and let me know reasult.

Regards,

Vivek

Paulo,

Before we go to intense troubleshooting on this, can you verify something basic. I believe I know what the problem is. Can you check where you have plugged the Camera Control cable on your Camera? You might have plugged it in the Ethernet port which is causing the cyclic reboot. The Camera control cable needs to be plugged in the Visca Camera Control Port. Please check the screenshot below :

Please make sure that this is not what the issue is and update with the results.

Regards,

Mubashshir Akhtar

Thanks Mubashshir Akhtar

Hi Mubashshir,

that is not the reason, because I have the codec uplugged from everething. I just have the power cable and serial cable connected.

Hi Paulo,

Are you able to get to the AMERICA prompt ? Can you verify by running the command selectsw to check which image is active and also to see if there are two images in the codec, one showing as active.

If yes, then can you type :

selectsw 

Please try this and update with the results.

Regards,

Mubashshir Akhtar

Thanks Mubashshir Akhtar

Hi Mubashshir,

"AMERICA> selectsw
yaffs: Mounting /flash
image1          [ACTIVE]
AMERICA> "

regards

Paulo Ferreira

Hi Paulo,

Have you tried steps in my previous mail after new software image process.

Regards,

Vivek