cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C40's Network Dead After Restart

Dave Bohn
Level 1
Level 1

I was in the process of updating the software (TC5.1.1) on a Profile 42 (C40 CODEC), I entered the new key code and the system needed to restart.  After the reboot I could not see the device on TMS. After talking with the location the device says Not Registered (No LAN) which I thought was odd.  I'm at the site now and the network connection is fine and I triple checked every thing.  I rebooted the system again and the touch panel works fine and if you watch the two network ports on the C40 the #1 for the LAN will light up until the device gets almost started and then goes blank.  Any ideas on what is going on or why this happened?  I'm worried we have a hardware failure with no access to TAC on this device.

Could I update the software via USB on the C40 and see if this resolves the problem?  Thanks for helping out the newbie again.

18 Replies 18

amehla
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Dave,

can you try to access this C40 using its serial port ? you can then check the xconfig and xstatus network  and also  check the vlan settings on this unit.

other way to check device ethernet port is by direclty connecting this C40 to your laptop using a crossover cable and then assigning ip on laptop ethernet card in same ip range as codec and then try to ping it.

try giving it hard reboot and check if there is any difference

Is there a certain program you need to go the serial route?  I assume a USB to serial cable? 

I can try the crossover route too and see.

The hard reboot would simply physically powering it down, let it sit for a bit then restart?  I just want to make sure we are on the same page.

Hi Dave,

just to confirm, is this device on a boot loop ??

means, it is rebooting after cisco logo on screen continously, never reaching wallpaper screen ??

No, everything boots up fine we just do not have a network connection.

Nikita Shrivastava
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Dave,

Please let me know what do you mean by entered the code for upgrade.

Did you upload the software file only?

Please run the command on putty-

xcommand systemunit releasekey list

and check if release key is present for TC5 or not.

if not, please enter the release key and reboot the codec again to check.

I was provided new release codes due to a possiable security problem with the old TC releases.  I entered the code for TC6.3 which needed a reboot, afte this the problem started. There was no software update performed, that was my next step.

Sorry I have never used putty before, but could not get a connection.  If I look on TMS there are codes for TC5.1.6 and TC6.0.1 listed.

What is the codec showing on the screen?  Can you see the System Information screen to see if it has picked up an IP address from the network, or can you set one via the menus?  Is the device still connected to the switch (has it been inadvertently disconnected by someone, or faulty cable)?  I'd be trying the simple things like that before going to the serial connection and playing with the CLI

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

I can see and run though the menus when I was physically at the site.  No IP address shown on the screen and I did check all of the cabling back to the patch panel and switch.

Hey Dave,

I am curious of a few things. What type of switch is the profile system connected to? If you connect to to the switch, do you see any errors on that switchport? Does the switch you are using support CDP and can you see the codecs CDP information on the switchport?

If you have a db9 serial to usb cable, you can connect to the com port on the Codec and do some more testing to see if the system's nic is active or not.

First connect to the codec via a serial cable. Then connect to the codec with a speed of 38400, 8 bits, 1 stop bit, no parity. Turn on the codec and wait for it to boot up and get to the login prompt. Now login as root (if root is not enabled login as 'admin' and once you are in issue the command 'systemtools rootsettings on' to enable root. then type logout and re-login as root). Once you are in as the root user, issue the command 'ifconfig' to check the network port. Also try to ping the loopback address on the codec ' ping 127.0.0.1'. What are the results of these tests? Also can you get the output from the log file located at /var/log/console.log. Let us know!

I'm not sure what exact model the switch is but if I had to guess I would say a Cisco Catalyst 3750 48 port PoE.  I will have to contact our network team to see if the switch has a bad port, but I did move it to a new switch and new port to hope with eliminating the problem.

I will see if I can get back to the location today connect via the com port.

How do you kill th loop back ping??

Here are a few screen shots on what I have found.  I may end up having the CODEC in my office to help with speeding up this process.

[VNA-Clinic:~] $ ifconfig

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:50:60:83:AD:05

inet6 addr: fe80::250:60ff:fe83:ad05/64 Scope:Link

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

RX packets:469269 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:437765 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:41277555 (39.3 Mb)  TX bytes:76090330 (72.5 Mb)

eth0.4090 Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:50:60:83:AD:05

inet addr:169.254.1.1  Bcast:169.254.1.255  Mask:255.255.25      5.0

inet6 addr: fe80::250:60ff:fe83:ad05/64 Scope:Link

RX packets:469269 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:349778 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:32830713 (31.3 Mb)  TX bytes:56794154 (54.1 Mb)

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:E0:0C:00:8C:02

inet addr:169.254.0.1  Bcast:169.254.0.255  Mask:255.255.25      5.0

inet6 addr: fe80::2e0:cff:fe00:8c02/64 Scope:Link

RX packets:13706089 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:12986723 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:900182606 (858.4 Mb)  TX bytes:961872400 (917.3 Mb      )

Base address:0x2000

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0

inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1

RX packets:1465430 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:1465430 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:150721775 (143.7 Mb)  TX bytes:150721775 (143.7 Mb      )

The ping looks OK.

VNA Ping Test.jpg

Any thoughts?  Could a factory reset be another option?