Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Calls to unplugged Endpoint

I had a customer ask me about the following situation.

They had unplugged a C-series codec in one of their rooms. When calls were made to the offline endpoint, rather than failing, it ended up at the MCU. I don't have the lab resources to try to recreate this, but can anyone shed some light on why this may occur?

thanks,

Robert

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Hi Rob - Did your customer place a call to the E164 Alias of the system and then it routed to the MCU?  Could be the E164 alias is close or matches to MCU service prefix, and its registered as GW to whichever GK your using.  Would be helpful to see if there is a correlation between the two or if your customer dialed alias@domain, and the alias is still close to the GW service prefix.  This could also occur as well. 

Would he be able to check?

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hi Rob - Did your customer place a call to the E164 Alias of the system and then it routed to the MCU?  Could be the E164 alias is close or matches to MCU service prefix, and its registered as GW to whichever GK your using.  Would be helpful to see if there is a correlation between the two or if your customer dialed alias@domain, and the alias is still close to the GW service prefix.  This could also occur as well. 

Would he be able to check?

Patrick,

The MCU service prefix is a sub-set of the e.164 number of the endpoint. I'm not clear why it would route to the MCU though. If the endpoint was 2145551234 and the MCU prefix was 214555, why would it not simply fail the call?

thanks,

robert

Cisco Employee

Hi Rob - More likely cause the Service Prefix IS that close.  Rather than fail the call, VCS may look to see if a GW prefix matches as well rather than the whole alias of what was called. If you look at the VCS, is the MCU 214555 prefix registered as GW prefix or MCU prefix?  I'd have to check the behavior in my lab as MCU prefix, but would believe that if registered as GW prefix, in this case, that call would route to the MCU since it would be registered as a GW towards the VCS. 

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content