Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't access TMS, getting http 503 error

Nicholas Holum
Level 1
Level 1

I'll try to make this short...

I just got hired into a role managing this company's video network. The person who managed/built this network kept no documentation... nada. No IPs, no server names, nothing! They just have an intern who kinda knows how things work around here. They didn't even know that they had TMS. I only just discovered it today because I noticed a bunch of errors on the MCU from an IP address...

Warningunable to handle XML RPC request conference.enumerate from x.x.x.x

This error is filling up the logs on the MCU. Turns out it's the IP for TMS.

Anywho, trying to access it from the IP address returns the 503 error. Even trying from the server itself returns the error on the local host. I have ran down the list of things to try on the TMS admin guide...

• Check that IIS is running. (check)

• Check that you can access the default webpage http://TMSServerName. (doesn't work)

• Check that the virtual directories above exist on the Cisco TMS server. (check)

• Check that they are pointing to valid directories on the Cisco TMS server. (check)

• Check that the permission settings are correct according to the list above. (seem right)

• Check that the IIS allows for running .net extensions. (don't know where to look for this)

This is a virtual Windows Server 2008 R2 box.

Cisco Telepresence Management Suite 13.1.1

I haven't rebooted it yet as I am a little unsure of the consequences lol. I could really use some guidance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Wayne DeNardi wrote:

If that still doesn't work, you could restart each of the TMS services (and IIS as well if the TMS ones don't help), then as a final resort, reboot the windows server.

The TMS services run independently from the web interface; the web interface can be down but the services doing fine, and vice versa. The fact that Nicholas can see TMS trying to access the MCU indicates that the services are doing fine.

Another thing to check... where is the SQL database?  Is it on the local box, or on an external SQL server?  If TMS can't get to the database, you'll get errors.  (Use TMSTools.exe to check/change).

Yes, the database is most likely the culprit of a 503 error. Check

C:\Program Files\TANDBERG\TMS\wwwTMS\Data\Logs\tmsdebug\log-web.txt for a more specific error message. If it turns out to be a database connection issue, do as Wayne says and change the connection string using TMS Tools.

Regards,

Kjetil

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Nicholas,

Are you able to access the web interface, from on the box that runs TMS, by trying to access it via the localhost address (ie http://localhost/tms) while logged on as an administrator of that server?

If that still doesn't work, you could restart each of the TMS services (and IIS as well if the TMS ones don't help), then as a final resort, reboot the windows server.

Another thing to check... where is the SQL database?  Is it on the local box, or on an external SQL server?  If TMS can't get to the database, you'll get errors.  (Use TMSTools.exe to check/change).

Wayne

--

Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne DeNardi wrote:

The TMS services run independently from the web interface; the web interface can be down but the services doing fine, and vice versa. The fact that Nicholas can see TMS trying to access the MCU indicates that the services are doing fine.

Yes, the database is most likely the culprit of a 503 error. Check

C:\Program Files\TANDBERG\TMS\wwwTMS\Data\Logs\tmsdebug\log-web.txt for a more specific error message. If it turns out to be a database connection issue, do as Wayne says and change the connection string using TMS Tools.

Regards,

Kjetil

Thanks Wayne and Kjetil... I tried restarted services but that didn't help much. Then I decided to go ahead and reboot, which solved the problem.

Guessing Kjetil was right in that the db wasn't communicating properly.