cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cascading MCUs

Anthony Thomson
Level 3
Level 3

Is there a way to force a Codian MCU to be the 'slave' in a cascading MCU relationship?  When I try to connect it to a 3rd-party Polycom MCU, the Codian keeps trying to be the 'master', and it's causing problems.   The other party insists I have to force my Codian to be a 'slave', but I can't find a way to do that.

Does it make a difference which direction the call is placed in?

Thanks.

1 Reply 1

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Do you run the latest software on the mcu 4.2(1.50)?

You can define a pre defined "endpoint" there you can select the codec negotiation (if this is what you are aiming for).

Besides that you might want to select a fullscreen switching layout.

Either you should be able to dial out or you would have to see that the dial in matches the pre defined endpoint

Online help info:

"Content negotiation

This field allows the MCU to be configured   so that content can be exchanged with  third party MCUs in multi-level  cascaded conferences over H.323. Choose from:

• As master: The MCU only acts as master in H.239 token negotiation.
  • As slave: The MCU acts as the slave in H.239 token negotiation and can send content to a master unit if it accepts the token request.
  • As mimic slave: The MCU acts  as a mimic slave in H.239 token negotiation and will try to send content  to all other endpoints/units even if this unit (i.e. the MCU configured  as a mimic slave) rejects the token request.

When exchanging content with an endpoint  in a H.323 call, the MCU acts  as a master unit and the endpoint as a  slave unit for the purpose of  H.239 token negotiation. However, in order  for the MCU to exchange  content with a cascaded  third party MCU the  MCU must appear to the  third party MCU to be a slave unit. The MCU can  be configured as a true  slave, in which case content will only be sent  if the third party MCU  master accepts the token request, or as a mimic  slave where content is  sent to all other connected endpoints even if the  third party MCU  rejects the token request."

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify