Views
Helpful
Replies

Change the name of Endpoints in MCU

smilewonee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I'm Paul

When we access to MCU through web and make calls with endpoints(call-out with E.164),

we can see System Name of Endpoints in Conference Room.

However, When we make a call from Endpoints through MCU(call-in with E.164),

we can only see H.323 ID in Conference Room.

Our customer want System Name to show up on Conference Room in anycase.

How can I change H.323 ID to System Name?

Please help me out.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I think there is a limit on how many pre defined endpoint you can define and its also a lot of work

and might have other side effects. But yes, it can be a solution

At least on our VCS based setup with Cisco MXP and C-Series systems they show up fine.

If you do not use a VCS I would not want to rule out that this is adding to the limitations.

It would be interesting to know more about your infrastructure / call control / endpoints, ...

Check that there is a system name and h323id configured, also check on mxp that you prefer

the h323 name over the e164 number (on MXP thats an option).

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

See the following discussion that describes System Name when using H323 alias.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3683771

What type of MCU do you have?  You could add the endpoints to the MCU endpoint list and configure them to match specific calling parameters, and when they do, you can have it override their display name on the MCU.

This screenshot is taken from my MCU 8510.

Hi Patrick,

I really appriciate to your reference.

However, I already knew that way that can override display name on MCU.

it only affects on when we call out from MCU,

In terms of Call-in, we still could see H.323 ID only.

Is there anyway about it?

Thanks.

I don't have any of that configured on our MCU, I'd suggest playing with the call-in match parameters and see what happens.  You only need to match one parameter at minimum for it to work.

What does 'call-in match parameters' indicate exactly?

Could you please explain about it more?

Thank you very much.

Taken from the MCU online help:

Call-in match parameters

These fields are used to identify incoming calls as being from the  endpoint:

• Name: This must be the name that the endpoint  sends to the MCU
  • IP address: The IP address of the endpoint
  • E.164: The E.164 number with which the  endpoint is registered with the gatekeeper

The endpoint is recognized if all filled-in fields in this section are  matched. Fields left blank are not considered in the match.

When you configure Call-in match parameters, an  endpoint will be recognized as this pre-configured endpoint and the  Conferencing parameters will be applied to a call  from this endpoint.

If you have an endpoint added to the MCU, and you've configured the call-in match parameters to match the endpoints E.164 address, then when an endpoint that calls in and has their E.164 address match that endpoint that has been added to the MCU, it will be configured with whatever has been defined in the conferencing parameters of that added endpoint on the MCU.

As I said, it's something that is best to play with, so you can get a feeling and see what exactly it can do for you.

Thanks Patrick, I will play with it when see how it goes.

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I think there is a limit on how many pre defined endpoint you can define and its also a lot of work

and might have other side effects. But yes, it can be a solution

At least on our VCS based setup with Cisco MXP and C-Series systems they show up fine.

If you do not use a VCS I would not want to rule out that this is adding to the limitations.

It would be interesting to know more about your infrastructure / call control / endpoints, ...

Check that there is a system name and h323id configured, also check on mxp that you prefer

the h323 name over the e164 number (on MXP thats an option).

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Also, I know on C-Series endpoints that if an H323 alias is set, according to the the admin guides the H323 alias overrides the system name that gets displayed.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

I don't still know why we have VCS, we don't get System Name on Display.

In our deployment, There is no problem I guess.

smilewonee
Level 1
Level 1

Here we have Call-in Match Parameter Configuration Page, MCU status and the Displayed Name on screen.

With these image, There is no change although we configured differently with Call-in Match Parameter.

It happens only when we made a call-in (From endpoint To MCU). Isn't it weired?

this is Call-in match parameters, we filled all the field correctly.

this is what we can see in the page of MCU

This is what we see on the screen of endpoints, There is H.323ID still.

It happens only when we made a call-in (From endpoint To MCU). Isn't it weired?      

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: