cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 5320 MCU Layout/Self View

awatson20
Level 4
Level 4

We recently converted from a MPS200 bridge to a Cisco 5320 MCU.  We have multi-point conference with 8 participants.  The new MCU 5320 automatically selected a 9 pane layout. 

The issue is some of the participants in this call cannot see their self-view, along with the other 8 participants. They can switch back and forth between self-view, and the participant view, but cannot see both at the same time.            

This issue was introduced after converting to the new MCU.  Any advice?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you do not want to see yourself you will have to check the box.

Don't see yourself in small panes
Don't duplicate in small panes

Please check out the documentation for more info

(taken from the online help which you have directly on the box (see the info / help buttons on top of your mcu settings page)

Prevents the MCU from showing conference  participants their own video in small panes of variable-sized pane views  (and in conferences with equal-sized panes).

If this option is set, then a participant  will never appear in a  small      pane (self-view), even if there is a free small pane available.   They may still appear in larger panes, however, for example if the view  focus is manually changed to show their video.  See     Understanding how participants display in layout views for more details.

Prevents the MCU from duplicating large-pane participants in small panes.

When using a conference view with some  large and some small panes, the MCU will typically duplicate in a small  pane the video of a     participant shown in a large pane.  This is done to minimize the  switching of small panes in response to changes of participant focus in  the large pane.  If you would prefer     not to duplicate participants in small panes in this way, select  this option.  For more details of view layouts, see Understanding how participants     display in layout views.

Besides that, its not really clear what they see and how it is different and how they switched the layout

and how it behaves different for different endpoints.

Is there a pattern, like specific endpoint types, software versions, users, ...

So maybe you could make some pictures or even a short video.

Besides all of that, I would check these two boxes and tell the people to use their local self view on their

endpoint to see themselves if they need to check if they still look good :-)

Most people I talked to find it annoying if they thee themselves, especally as the MCU always adds some lag.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Hello

You need to change mark in conference settings for 5320:

"Don't see yourself in small panes" and "Don't duplicate in small panes"

br Oleksandr

Thank you.  can you tell me where this configuration setting is located at exactly?

Settings >Conferences - Advancced settings

br Oleksandr

Are you saying that these configuration items should be checked or un-checked?

If you do not want to see yourself you will have to check the box.

Please check out the documentation for more info

(taken from the online help which you have directly on the box (see the info / help buttons on top of your mcu settings page)

Prevents the MCU from showing conference  participants their own video in small panes of variable-sized pane views  (and in conferences with equal-sized panes).

If this option is set, then a participant  will never appear in a  small      pane (self-view), even if there is a free small pane available.   They may still appear in larger panes, however, for example if the view  focus is manually changed to show their video.  See     Understanding how participants display in layout views for more details.

Prevents the MCU from duplicating large-pane participants in small panes.

When using a conference view with some  large and some small panes, the MCU will typically duplicate in a small  pane the video of a     participant shown in a large pane.  This is done to minimize the  switching of small panes in response to changes of participant focus in  the large pane.  If you would prefer     not to duplicate participants in small panes in this way, select  this option.  For more details of view layouts, see Understanding how participants     display in layout views.

Besides that, its not really clear what they see and how it is different and how they switched the layout

and how it behaves different for different endpoints.

Is there a pattern, like specific endpoint types, software versions, users, ...

So maybe you could make some pictures or even a short video.

Besides all of that, I would check these two boxes and tell the people to use their local self view on their

endpoint to see themselves if they need to check if they still look good :-)

Most people I talked to find it annoying if they thee themselves, especally as the MCU always adds some lag.

do not be afraid to try

try all variations and leave the scenario that you like.

br Oleksandr

Oleksandr: great answer +5 ;-)

Best combined with reading the online and offline help to get a bit more of an idea what the specific setting is about.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps12283/tsd_products_support_series_home.html

Thank you.  I do appreciate all of the information here.

Under conference settings, those 2 confiiguration items were checked by default.  When a participant hits the Layout button it says the following: "Layout will put my self view beside the 9 block, but not show my square in the 9 block".

I have participants in a multi-point video call on a 9-split screen layout that want to see themselves in one of the 9 squares and not in the self view.  If so, do I need to uncheck the configuration setting on the MCU labeled:

Don't see yourself in small panes?

What effect will this have, and can this setting only be applied to one participant?

Yes if you want the participants to see themselves in the conference layout, than uncheck "Don't see yourself in small panes".

Anything on the Settings > Conferences page are system wide changes that will affect any and all conferences being placed on the MCU.

Thanks Patrick.  Would we also need to uncheck the setting "Don't duplicate in small panes"

I was not sure about this setting.

As Oleksandt wrote, just try it out and see if it is what you want.

I posted above what this parameter is about:

When using a conference view with some  large and some small panes, the  MCU will typically duplicate in a small  pane the video of a      participant shown in a large pane.  This is done to minimize the   switching of small panes in response to changes of participant focus in   the large pane.  If you would prefer     not to duplicate participants  in small panes in this way, select  this option.  For more details of  view layouts, see

Understanding how participants     display in layout views.

Most likely you want to have this option checked (=dont duplicate), but I would also not like to

see myself on the mcu and rather use the endpoint for it, so its up to you, thats why the MCU is configurable :-)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: