Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ExpressWay-E/C on UCS

tamimicisco
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Experts,

I am new to Cisco UC world and trying to understand and implement  the Cisco ExpressWay-E/C technology.Can anyone help me to understand the following .

1.Is there is any specific reason to place ExpressWay-E in MDZ ?

2.Do i need additional Firewall for Cisco Expressway-C ?

3.Does Cisco ExpressWay-E/C  support  different internal domains?.

4.Does Cisco Expressway-E/C surrport if I have internal domain server hosted on public network ?

Thanks

Tamimi

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

George Thomas
Level 10
Level 10

1. Expressway-E is the vehicle that is used to communicate with clients who are on the internet. For this specific reason, you have to place the Expressway-E in the DMZ or the outside network, both configurations are supported by Cisco.

2. Additional firewall is not needed. The example that the guides show is an example for customers who have additional firewall and if they dont allow traffic to be routed directly from the internal network to the external. 

3. You can configure different domains on the Expressway C/E and in most cases will work but this configuration is not supported by Cisco.

4. Not sure I understand this question but if you are asking about having to host your own Public DNS servers, then that shouldnt be a problem and doesnt have a correlation with Expressway C/E.

Please rate useful posts.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

George Thomas
Level 10
Level 10

1. Expressway-E is the vehicle that is used to communicate with clients who are on the internet. For this specific reason, you have to place the Expressway-E in the DMZ or the outside network, both configurations are supported by Cisco.

2. Additional firewall is not needed. The example that the guides show is an example for customers who have additional firewall and if they dont allow traffic to be routed directly from the internal network to the external. 

3. You can configure different domains on the Expressway C/E and in most cases will work but this configuration is not supported by Cisco.

4. Not sure I understand this question but if you are asking about having to host your own Public DNS servers, then that shouldnt be a problem and doesnt have a correlation with Expressway C/E.

George thomas thanks for your reply.

What if i have 2-Firewall.Firewall-1 network is DMZ network used for accessing internal Servers from outside eg:DNS,AD,DHCP,Webserver etc and Firewall-2 non-DMZ network used only for internet access.Both Firewall-1 and Firewall-2 have multiple ISP's connection..However if i place Expressway-E in non-DMZ zone then how does jabber users from pubic network will get connected to internal UC server? Do i need to do the NATing on Expressway-E IP Address on Firewall-2 ?

Thanks

Tamimi

Ideally you would put Expressway E in the DMZ which in your case will be Firewall-1. You will also have Expressway C on the internal LAN. The Expressway C makes outbound connections to the Expressway E and this tunnel/connection is leveraged for Jabber registrations from the internet to the Expressway E and ultimately gets proxied to Expressway C and onto CUCM/IMP etc.