Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

CISCO expressway series vs VCS-E

CISCO had some big announcements concerning the CISCO "Expressway".

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps13435/index.html

I'm confused.

Is the expressway announcement have anything to do with the VCS-E.

thanks!         

7 REPLIES

Re: CISCO expressway series vs VCS-E

Hi,

This announcement is related to the new Cisco Colaboration Edge Architecture (also known as Cisco Expressway). Learn more here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns1246/index.html

This new architecture will allow Jabber clients from internet to register to the Cisco Unfied Communication infrastructure without needing to use VPN connection, providing all the features included in Jabber, Voice, Video, IM and Colaboration.

To provide this architecture, Cisco will use VCS Expressway solution (as far as I know) to allow registration from internet, that is why we have the name "Cisco Expressway". Therefore, we can say that the Cisco Expressway solution is architecture that includes VCS Expressway, but it is not VCS Expressway alone indeed.

This feature is not available yet, but I guess it will be available soon.

There is another thread on the community about this matter:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2188018

Regards

Paulo Souza

Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

Re:CISCO expressway series vs VCS-E

You could say it's the VCS-E with added capabilities if you have have CUCM in your deployment. It will otherwise still do what the VCS-E does today as far as I understand it.

/jens

Please rate replies and mark questions " answered " if applicable.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

Yeah, I have been wondering about this announcement too. I wonder if it is simply a feature of the upcoming x8 software for a VCS-E, or (and everyone place your bets), if it will be a new purchasable licence!

Answers on a postcard.....

VIP Purple

As I understand it, you can run either the VCS or Expressway application depending on your environment and what you'd like to do.  Same software, just different features depending on which option you chose to run when you install/upgrade.  And I'm like you, hope they don't give us this new software etc, and then say "by the way, you have to purchase x licensees to make it work".

CISCO expressway series vs VCS-E

Patrick Sparkman wrote:

And I'm like you, hope they don't give us this new software etc, and then say "by the way, you have to purchase x licensees to make it work".

+1 on that - we won't be able to take advantage of the CUCM integration as we don't have one....nor will we get one, unless Cisco just about give us one, as we're, shock, horror, not on a Cisco network despite having nothing but TANDBERG/Cisco telepresence gear.

/jens

VIP Purple

Jens Didriksen wrote:

we won't be able to take advantage of the CUCM integration as we don't have one....nor will we get one, unless Cisco just about give us one, as we're, shock, horror, not on a Cisco network despite having nothing but TANDBERG/Cisco telepresence gear.

We're the same way, we don't have CUCM, all of our stuff that relates to video is TANDBERG/Cisco utilizing the VCS, that's all we have and need for our organization, and I don't see that changing anytime in the future right now.  Hope this evolution in the VCS/Expressway software doesn't come around to bit some of us in the butt, but I'm sure/hopping it isn't as bad as it seems.  I know the lack of information out there on the X8 software version doesn't help for those who already has a VCS etc in their network.  Something I know for sure, the naming changes they're making doesn't help at all, just confuses everyone even more.

Hey guys,

As far as I understand, the Colaboration Edge solution is related to Cisco Jabber and not to Cisco Jabber for Telepresence. Therefore, if you have an existent environment with TANDBERG equipments and Jabber for Telepresence, this new solution won't add colaboration features to your enviroment.

The great point of this new solution is to provide colaboration using Cisco Jabber clients registered from external, but the Cisco Jabber client full, using CUCM + Presence, registered to CUCM from internet via VCS Expressway. In this solution, many features will be available from internet without using VPN, such as voice, video, IM and colaboration, and not only voice and video like we have in Cisco Jabber for Telepresence (Movi) client.

Therefore, if you want to take advantage of these new features, I am sure that you will have to invest in a Unified Communication Infrastructure if you don't have an existent one. But if you don't want to have that solution, I guess you will be able to have VCS X8 without those new functionalities, not sure. It is not clear for me whether X8 will be used specifically to Unfied Communication integration or to provide new features for the telepresence world as well, my hint is both things, but I imagine that features related to Unified Communication integration will have additional cost, of course.

Just thoughts...

Paulo Souza

Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content