cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SX10 Design and Architecture

Network Admin
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to have some clarifications regarding Cisco Telepresence SX10. ( CTS-SX10-K9 )

We need to have a Video Conference Solution between Our Head Office and Branch Office.

We have a conference room in HO and Branch Office.

#1. If i have One SX10 in Head Office and One SX10 in Branch Office , Can i have Conference between these two sites with out any additional Hardware ?

#2. If i have a Public IP Configured on both SX10 directly on the device , Do they communicate with out any Problem ?

#3. Is it mandatory that SX10 should register to VCS or Communications Manager ?

#4  Do they Work Standalone with direct IP to IP Calling with out any other device or equipments like VCS or CUCM  ?

Martin Koch  javflogdl  Chris Swinney  mikee2112 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It's possible, take a look at this discussion, sx10-call-type-scenario, to get an idea of how to setup the SX10 as a standalone codec without call control.

There is also several SX20 standalone discussions throughout the forums, taking a look at any of them will help as well.  Just ignore H323 when reading those threads and focus on the SIP portion, as the SX10 doesn't use the H323 protocol.

It's recommend to use a VCS or CUCM for call control, as it makes things much easier to work with when making and receiving calls, but as you can see from the various discussions, it's not set in stone that the codec won't work without it, just makes things a bit more complicated.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It's possible, take a look at this discussion, sx10-call-type-scenario, to get an idea of how to setup the SX10 as a standalone codec without call control.

There is also several SX20 standalone discussions throughout the forums, taking a look at any of them will help as well.  Just ignore H323 when reading those threads and focus on the SIP portion, as the SX10 doesn't use the H323 protocol.

It's recommend to use a VCS or CUCM for call control, as it makes things much easier to work with when making and receiving calls, but as you can see from the various discussions, it's not set in stone that the codec won't work without it, just makes things a bit more complicated.

@ Patrick Sparkman

Thank you Patrick. I went through the Discussion u shared. So it seems IP to IP Call is Possible with format prefix@IP . 

So Iam planning to assign Public IP on Cisco Router and then port-forward to a private IP assigned on SX10 on either Site. Your comments regarding this will be appreciated.

I've never done it before, as we use a call control server, but that should work.

Just one Quick Question ,

How much bandwidth is required for a single  SX10  to  SX10 Video call ( 1080p30 ) ?

When it say 1472 kbps , the total bandwidth would be 1472 kbps x 2 = 2944 Kbps ?

The bandwidth figures for different resolutions depening on the Optimal Definition Profiles.  See Page 109 of the SX10 Admin Guide.  The minimum bandwidth required for 1080p30 is 1472 kbps - obviously, more bandwidth is better if it is available (up to 3 Mbps on an SX10).

I don't understand why you're multiplying by 2, it's a single bi-directional 1472 kbps connection.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: