cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Codian Blade Multicast Traffic

Anthony Chan
Level 1
Level 1

we have been seeing some multicast traffic on our codian bridge but the multicast functionality have been turned off so not sure where this traffic is coming from.  Any leads to know where to search?

thanks

Anthony

3 Replies 3

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I assume you are talking about:

Home > Settings > Streaming

and enable is set to none or conference me.

Anyhow on the conference configuration parameters I would check that streaming is set to none on

all pre defined conferences and templates you have.

If you see multicast traffic its a perfect time to recheck the conferences.

Also looking at the logs and a network trace can help.

Please also state your exact type and software version.

In addition, you saw that 4.3 is now out? So I would consider an upgrade before further testing.

Before upgrading always do a backup and read the release notes.

Please vote answers.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

8510 Blade MCU version 4.2 (1.50)

Under the Home | Settings | Streaming this is enabled but the Multicasting is turned off (see pic)

But in the Port A Settings, I see Multicast packets received (see pic) was wondering where this might be coming from?

These are just statistics from the network interface that record how many multicast packets have been received by the MCU from the network. While the MCU can transmit multicast packets (for multicast streaming), it has no functionality that enables it to do anything with received multicast packets; it will just discard them.

In order to find out where these multicast packets are coming from you'd probably need to do a packet sniff of the network, but a certain amount of multicast traffic would be considered normal - its not just streaming that transmits multicast, but also various routing protocols, applications like mDNS etc.

You may also want to look at the IGMP snooping functionality of your switches if they support that.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: