Views
Helpful
Replies

Codian MCU 4510

delecityboy229
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm in the process of doing a factory reset on my Codian MCU 4510 because I didn't get a proper pass down of the user name/password. No one here seems to know it. If I reset my Codian MCU 4510 will this cause any problems with the VCS Controller other than the registration between the two? Will this cause any down time with the other end points registered to the VCS Controller?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Correct, the only downtime you'll experience if any depends on if you need to use it while you're doing the factory restore and reconfiguration afterward.  If you don't know already, the instructions for resetting MCU password is below.

cisco_telepresence_resetting_password_restoring_factory_settings_kb_13

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It shouldn't cause any problems.  Take note of the current MCU registrations that are on the VCS so you can recreate them after the reset.  A reset will cause downtime until you you recreate those registrations and any active conferences running on the MCU.

Thanks Patrick. Currently we don't use the MCU for anything. We bridge into conferences through other sites MCUs. So, basically from your response I will have no down time.

Correct, the only downtime you'll experience if any depends on if you need to use it while you're doing the factory restore and reconfiguration afterward.  If you don't know already, the instructions for resetting MCU password is below.

cisco_telepresence_resetting_password_restoring_factory_settings_kb_13

Thanks again Patrick. This my first time doing this on my own from scratch. Another question I have is about the reconfiguring of the MCU. Apparently, this site never backed up the configuration so I'll have to put those in from scratch. Are the settings pretty much the same as the settings on the VCS?

The MCU and VCS are two entirely different products, so you're not going to be able to copy one to the other.  The MCU is a mulitpoint conferencing bridge where endpoints connect to have large video conferences, where as the VCS is simply a call control server similar to a directory for the endpoints and other video servers to find one another.

You said that you're using another MCU, what model is it?  You might be able to take a backup of it, and upload it to the one you're resetting.  You'd still have to reconfigure some settings, but it might save you some time and give you a starting place.

The site that I usually go through has a MSE 8510

You might be able to get away with taking a back of the 8510 and using it with the 4510, however it's probably not best since both MCUs might not have the same exact settings.  Best to probably just decide what settings you want, you can use the online help in the MCU to understand all the settings and configuration, of course you can ask around here if you're not sure.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: