Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Codian pcap captures

Hi Every one.

Can  any one please help me. i would like to play a Video call from Pcap file. i heard that we can capture wireshaek captures on Codian MCUs

and play the video file to check the quality of video for packet loss lagg etc.

Please suggest.

Thank you

//Video

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VIP Purple

Just found out today through

Just found out today through a TAC case, that you can do packet captures directly from the MCU, there are two warning though, and are noted near the bottom.

True for MCU 4.2 or newer, and Telepresence Server

In order to start the capture, you will need access to the console port of the MCU/TS.

MCU:> nettap
usage: nettap [-a|-l|-s|-h] A|B
        -a : capture all packets (i.e. disable most of filter)
        -l : disable limit on number of packets captured (160000) stop with Ctrl-C
        -s : disable 128 byte limit on packet length
        -h <host> : only capture packets to from <host>

§  The A | B refers to port A or port B. In almost all cases you will want port A.

For example, if you want to capture media coming from a particular endpoint at 192.168.0.5, you would use:

MCU:> nettap -as -h 192.168.0.5 A

Don't forget the -s, or you will only capture the first 128 bytes of each packet - no good for media (and not much good for protocol signalling either).

The capture can be retrieved from the MCU/TS using the Web interface: Status > General > Download network trace. It's a good idea to delete it after downloading if CDR logging or Audit logging is enabled.

Warnings

Using on a busy MCU will cause problems
Processing power is limited on Codian products, especially for 4200/8420, IP VCR and ISDN GW. Using nettap on a busy MCU is a lot of work (the MCU will be dealing with a LOT of traffic), and this could cause performance issues and potentially even stability problems.

You will run out of space 
Space is also limited on Codian products, so capturing media for an extended period of time is not an option. Leaving a large trace on the box will also severely limit the space left for Audit and CDR logs.
5 REPLIES
VIP Purple

The only way to run Wireshark

The only way to run Wireshark with an MCU is you have to mirror the MCU port to another port where a computer running Wireshark is.  There is no built in feature of the MCU that I know of where one can do packet captures directly from the MCU.

You can stream a conference from the MCU though, to view a conference while it's in progress.  Take a look at the MCU help guide for more info on streaming.  Start of pg. 17 covers the use streaming, while pg. 204 starts going over setting up your MCU for streaming.  The conferences will have to have there configuration set to allow streaming, start of pg 40 covers how to do this, it can also be done at the conference template level.

Hey videoconfrencing1944,Also

Hey

Also, ensure that the confernce is not encrypted if you want to try to reply the capture.

Cheers,

Chris

As said before, no capturing

As said before, no capturing on device (thats possible on most of the codecs or cucm and vcs for example), so mirror port is needed.

To see the picture quality I would recomend to dial in to the conference.

You also have the statistics of the conference itself on the web interface.

If you have a capture file, even if its encrypted RTP you should be able to use like wireshark

to analyze the RTP to see if there is any loss an jitter.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

VIP Purple

Just found out today through

Just found out today through a TAC case, that you can do packet captures directly from the MCU, there are two warning though, and are noted near the bottom.

True for MCU 4.2 or newer, and Telepresence Server

In order to start the capture, you will need access to the console port of the MCU/TS.

MCU:> nettap
usage: nettap [-a|-l|-s|-h] A|B
        -a : capture all packets (i.e. disable most of filter)
        -l : disable limit on number of packets captured (160000) stop with Ctrl-C
        -s : disable 128 byte limit on packet length
        -h <host> : only capture packets to from <host>

§  The A | B refers to port A or port B. In almost all cases you will want port A.

For example, if you want to capture media coming from a particular endpoint at 192.168.0.5, you would use:

MCU:> nettap -as -h 192.168.0.5 A

Don't forget the -s, or you will only capture the first 128 bytes of each packet - no good for media (and not much good for protocol signalling either).

The capture can be retrieved from the MCU/TS using the Web interface: Status > General > Download network trace. It's a good idea to delete it after downloading if CDR logging or Audit logging is enabled.

Warnings

Using on a busy MCU will cause problems
Processing power is limited on Codian products, especially for 4200/8420, IP VCR and ISDN GW. Using nettap on a busy MCU is a lot of work (the MCU will be dealing with a LOT of traffic), and this could cause performance issues and potentially even stability problems.

You will run out of space 
Space is also limited on Codian products, so capturing media for an extended period of time is not an option. Leaving a large trace on the box will also severely limit the space left for Audit and CDR logs.
VIP Purple

Also found this TAC document

Also found this TAC document on the Cisco site that covers what I outlined above.

TelePresence Server, MCU, IP VCR, and Gateway Network Packet Capture

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content