Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Concerns about VCS/Expressway Lync gateway and RTP traffic

I am studying the Cisco Telepresence and Microsoft Lync integration.

I have gone through many documentation, including

1. Cisco Live: BRKCOL-2020- Cisco Interoperability with Microsoft
  2. and Cisco TelePresence Microsoft Lync and Cisco VCS Deployment Guide (December 2013)

I have big concerns regarding the RTP traffic and the impact on video quality.

Following Ciscodocumentation it seems that a unique VCS/Expressway Lync gateway must be used when bridging with a single domain Lync infrastructure.

Page 7 of the documentation #2 above it says:

Multiple “Lync gateway” VCSs per Lync domain

Apart from when the VCSs are in a single “Lync gateway” cluster, this is not a recommended architecture as

calls from one video endpoint to another video endpoint that is called via its Lync domain will get routed via

Lync rather than directly through the video infrastructure; this will cause users to lose video functionality such

as duo video and far end camera control, and also possibly lose encryption and video quality.

So for a large organization with office worlwide, if an employee on Lync in an office (in Australia for example) wants to connect to a Telepresence endpoint in a meeting room in another office in that same country, all the RTP media traffic will have to cross the world to that centralized VCS Lync gateway (probably at the HQ datacenter) for codec translation.

Is my understanding correct?

If yes, I'm really concern about the impact it will have on video quality and network.

Even if there's a single Lync domain, if there are multiple CUCM clusters (with their own domain) in the various regions, couldn't we at least use a VCS Lync gateway per such region (i.e. per CUCM cluster)?

But outside of the single/multiple domain and CUCM/Lync clusters, isn't there a way to use multiple VCS Lync gateways, like we can use multiple MTP with media bypass for voice? The idea would be to multiply the number of VCS/Expressway Lync gateways in various countries so that the RTP traffic doesn't have to go all the way accross the oceans to a datacenter but at least to one in-country gateway.

Everyone's tags (1)
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content